Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do I do to adopt my 2 sisters?

My mom is a drug addict, and my mom's current husband(The father to my youngest sister) is as well. My mom is also dealing drugs, and I have proof of all of this. I currently am living out of state, but will be returning soon. Once I get on my feet, I want to adopt them and take care of them. One is 15 and the other will be 8 when I get there(I am 21 by the way) I have no kids as of yet, but my sisters are basically homeless at the moment and I want to keep them out of Foster Care. What can I do to adopt them?


Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • the family court judge, relationships mean everything in these cases. don't know how the parents would feel about you raising them instead of foster care but the courts will look more favorably on you if they support you taking care of them. Also ask about $ from the state to help care for them, the state's paying the foster home to watch them & in many states family members can apply for the same help. counseling would also be a great thing for all of you, being raised by druggies isn't the easiest & can endanger them of using drugs themselves. You will also need the support once you start to care for them. Good luck, its gonna be a long road!

    Answer by Nyx7 at 9:14 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

  • Get an attorney in the state you want to adopt the kids in. You would need a stable job and a clean apartment. You may also need to take a parenting class. Good luck, what you are doing is such an amazing thing to do.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:39 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

  • You may or may not be able to legally adopt your sisters. It all depends on if your mom AND their fathers will give up their parental rights. It might be better and easier all round to give them a stable, loving home and guidance without adopting them. As long as you have something like a note from your mother stating that you have permission to take them to the doctor and put them in school, there should be no problem with you raising them the rest of the way in the loving home they deserve. Sometimes the best way to do things is without the government sticking it's nose in. Good luck to all of you.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:33 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

  • Get a good lawyer--someone who specializes in this type of thing. Prepare yourself, because getting them won't be easy, nor will raising them. But it will be WORTH it! =) Best of luck to you.

    Answer by RobynS at 8:29 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

  • All you need is legal custody. You really don't need a full adoption espeically on the 15 year old. We had a situation in the family where another family member was given the right to raise a child (medical permission, tax deduction, everything), but the "parents" names still stayed on the birth certificate.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

  • Great advice on the pp's. Legal custody is going to be much easier for you to get then to adopt them. Even w/ the circumstances of how they are living, if the courts haven't already moved to terminate their parental rights (why are they in foster care? did the state remove them because of the drugs? are the mom & dad doing what the courts want them to do to regain custody? if the courts gave them a parenting plan & they are following it the courts won't terminate their rights) the chances of you being able to adopt them are pretty slim. You will have to prove to the courts that you can do a good job raising them. You will need a place to live (by yourself is best, courts frown on live in boyfriends) a legal steady full time job, transportation or a transportation plan (you don't have to have a car but if you don't you better know the bus route). You're going to need a lawyer, try to find someone who's personal friends w/

    Answer by Nyx7 at 9:11 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

  • Before you hire an attorney, to a search to find free legal help. Most counties offer it, that way you can go speak with someone before spending the money. Maybe call CPS and ask the for advice.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

  • What I would do is call CPS & the local drug enforcement and report them. When you talk to CPS tell them that you want custody of your sisters and to adopt them. By law, they are supposed to place them with a relative as soon as a suitable one becomes available. You will also be able to apply for medicaid, foodstamps, daycare, & cash assistance for them. CPS will push to severe the parental rights. You may also qualify for adoption subsidy. Adoption within the Family Group

    Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:49 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

  • I would call CPS and ask them how to go about it. Good luck

    Answer by Texan1993 at 2:10 PM on Jan. 20, 2010