• In the Spotlight:

How can I adopt my 2 sisters?

My mom is a drug addict, and my mom's current husband(The father to my youngest sister) is as well. My mom is also dealing drugs, and I have proof of all of this. I currently am living out of state, but will be returning soon. Once I get on my feet, I want to adopt them and take care of them. One is 15 and the other will be 8 when I get there(I am 21 by the way) I have no kids as of yet, but my sisters are basically homeless at the moment and I want to keep them out of Foster Care. What can I do to adopt them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• call DFS and tell them whats going on. They will most likely go to foster care for a little while until it has been proven that you are a sutible "parent:" As long as you can provide financially and have stable home then I dont see any reason for you not to get custody. I understand how you feel my mom is a meth addict and she has custody of my younger siblings and I am trying to work it out so I can have at least one of them but right now its not possible for me. If you want to talk just send me a message
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 10:08 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• wow congrats on being so mature and willing to help. you just need parents signing over their rights to be appointed guardian, however, to adopt your parents would need to have their rights terminated which would mean court and an attorney expense. when you get back i would approach them and ask if they were willing to turn the kids over to you because of their drug usage--if they are willing it can be very inexpensive and easy. good luck, you are taking on such a big responsibility!
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 11:26 PM on Jan. 13, 2010