my dog and seizures

We have been dealing with this for a few months know. Everytime she seems to be doing good on the meds she is on she starts to have them again, it seems like every coupld weeks. She is my baby girl and I hate seeing her have to go through this crap why won't it stop? she is almost at the max on the phenabarb. and she is on this other liquid stuff that takes 4 weeks to fully work ( which it has been 4 weeks) and still she had one tonight, it was really light but she had one. I have also noticed since she had the (REALLY BAD ONE) B4 meds she stumbles like she was weakened from it which was 4 to 5 weeks ago...I don't want to lose her...

randilinn

Asked by randilinn at 9:59 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Pets

• I'm so sorry to hear about your baby.. I can't say I have ever experienced this but if you're really worried maybe give the vet a call and ask if there are any other alternatives.. I hope she gets better soon.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:05 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• My dog has seizures too. They aren't as bad as yours, as he only gets them once every few months, but it's still really, really scary! Especially the ones that seem to last forever and I'm just praying that'll he'll get out of it and will be able to get up. My dog is a Black Lab. I guess a lot of labs do have seizures. I wish there was something that they could give that would stop them all together!

I wish I had some advice for you! Sammy is only 5 years old and it breaks my heart when he's going through a seizure.
    Anonymous

• It's definitely hard to go through.. I had worked at an animal hospital and there were a few clients who had chronic seizures, and it seems the only thing they could do is up the dosage of Phenabarb... And after my great grandfather died, we took in his elderly cat who ended up being diabetic, and he died in a diabetic seizure he just did not ever come out of.. I know it is hard but you have to be brave and strong...
    ProudMuslimMa2B

Answer by ProudMuslimMa2B at 10:19 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• op here..MrsLeftLane yes I have been in contact with my vets office this entire time, every seizure she has I call and the document it. If they don't hear from me for a while they call me to see how she is doing. I am just so tired of not getting this under control and am starting to wonder if we ever will.. She has had 1 for the past 3 years each year and then all of a sudden she would have 2 or 3 in one day every day that's why she is on the meds, I just don't understand why they came all of a sudden like that with no warning...

anon 10:06 does ur dog take meds to help stop them?
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 10:22 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Yeah. He takes 2 Phenabarb a day. We talked to the vet about upping the dose and she just said that if he's having a seizure every few months, then 2 is enough. I just think if more than 2 will keep him from having just one less a year, would be worth it!

Like you said, I can't stand how they come without warning. One day I walked outside to get him because he hadn't barked to come in and he was out there having a seizure. I have no idea how long it lasted or anything. I have always wondered how many he has when we're not home! I try not to think about it, but it's hard!
    Anonymous

• I agree, she hasn't been alone since she started all this.. I work from home and when I have to leave my mom or Grandma watches her, she is their baby to!
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 8:57 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Phenobarb is a barbiturate (sedative) so too high of a dose can be very bad.. That's why if seizures seem manageable (once every few months is considered manageable) they would not want to up the dosage.
    ProudMuslimMa2B

Answer by ProudMuslimMa2B at 1:24 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I'm so sorry to hear about your dog, my dogs are my babies too. Can they give her something like Neurotin which is a seizure medication they use on people? And how old is she, that could account for having more seizures too. I don't want you to lose her either. Maybe do some research online and talk over options with your vet. Good luck and hugs to you.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 2:26 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• If the meds she are on right now doesn't work they are going to hvae to try something else. I asked the vet and she said there are many different meds we can try, so there still is hope it's just getting the right dose.. Her name is Angel and she is a jackrussell she will be 9 years old in a couple months.... Thanks for all the support everybody!
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 8:26 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Has she actually been diagnose with epilepsy? Here is some of what Dr. Shawn Messonnier, D.V.M says about epilepsy in his book "Natural Health Bible for Dogs & Cats":

Primary epilepsy is the result of functional cerebral disturbances w/out obvious cause other than a possible hereditary predisposition. For a diagnosis of epilepsy to be made, other causes of seizures (including poisoning, infection, tumors, and cranial trauma) must be ruled out through diagnostic testing. Generally, conventional anti-epileptic medicine is not prescribed unless the pet has at least one seizure per month, as the goal of treatment is to reduce, rather than to eliminate, seizure frequency, severity, and length.

Here are some of the natural treatments he recommends:

Natural diet: A number of pets w/ epilepsy have been reported to show improvement upon dietary manipulation. Suggested dietary changes (which may decrease...cont...

CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 10:28 AM on Jan. 15, 2010