question about business license

I want to start a home based event planning business..I am not established just starting out..I have gone on Facebook and have seen pages where people make these pages and offer services like photography and cake making..Do i have to get a license to do this..I live in NJ :) Does any one have any advice

kprincess19

Asked by kprincess19 at 10:02 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• Call your local health department about the cake making. In some states, all you have to have is a kitchen inspection while other states require a separate kitchen all together. Have you thought about partnering with a local cake decorator that may be starting out as well?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:06 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• i dont plan on making cakes or anything..:) i just want to plan the events..i am working w/ a cake decorator and some other people..
    kprincess19

Answer by kprincess19 at 10:14 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Sorry, I miss read your question. You are wanting to know if you have to have a business licenses to start your own home based business as an event planner, right? If so, then you will need to contact your city hall. I was going to start my own home-based business a few years ago, and my city hall said that since I live in the city then I would have to pay a $100 fee each year for a business license to operate in the city. Good Luck!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:18 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• You need to contact your local city hall regarding a business license; contact the Secretary of State's office regarding the process for incorporating. You can get a tax ID number online from the IRS: www.irs.gov

Answer by rkoloms at 7:59 AM on Jan. 14, 2010