How much jar baby food should my 5 mo old eat at a time?

I have only been giving a few bites but he seems to like it. How much should I let him eat at a time?

Jessycwr

Asked by Jessycwr at 10:03 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• MY daughters dr recommened half a jar to begin with. THen follow with a bottle/breast.
    Now my daughter is 8 1/2 months and she eats a whole jar sometimes 2 and then a 4 oz bottle
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:07 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• really just feed till baby turns away or starts whining then give bottle thats the way i've been doing it since my ds was 2 1/2 months he always lets me know when he's done with the food and wants the bottle i never measure out how much to give he just lets me know
    Anonymous

• Always formula/breastmilk FIRSt. Right now foods are supposed to be an experience not nutrition. When baby doesn't want it they will refuse it. They shouldn't be eating much solids at that age. Food before one is for fun.     Read this.   http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedselintroductie/blw/engels.html     Personally, I think jar food tastes horrible and is overpriced.  Half of  it you pay for is water and the other half is overcooked vegetables.  Table food is far cheaper and less fussy.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:22 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I agree with amileegirl - - solid food should be offered only after breast/bottle at every meal until a child turns 1. Solid food before 1 is for fun and experimenting - not nutrition. ALL of their nutrition should continue to come from breast/bottle until 1.
    Jar foods are convenient, but mashing your own baby food is easy, cheaper, and way better tasting - - I used a combination of both (jars for going out - convenience) and my kids showed a marked preference for the food I made, and I totally don't blame them!! The jarred stuff is pretty nasty.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 12:05 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• half a jar per feeding with a bottle
    Texan1993

Answer by Texan1993 at 1:35 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• None! olids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 7:58 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• My son is 6 months and I give him his 5oz bottle first and then a whole jar of stage 2 fruit or dinner depending what feeding it it. His breakfast is a whole jar stage 2 fruit mixed with cereal and a 4oz bottle.

melibear5715

Answer by melibear5715 at 9:06 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• A few bites sounds just right. Make sure you nurse or give a bottle FIRST, then offer solids. Follow her lead. I'd have waited until 6 mos, but since you've already started, just go with the flow.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:17 AM on Jan. 14, 2010