Would you ever consider having a doula or a postpartum doula?

I am considering starting a career as a doula.. but not sure how in "demand" they are? Would there be less opportunity in a small town? What is your opinion on doula's?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• In areas where midwives are rare and home birthing is restricted or illegal (like in GA), doulas can really help women who can't get all the care they want and need. I have a midwife who comes to my home. But I had considered a postpartum doula since many of them come to your home to help out.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:12 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• No I wouldnt. I personally would not pay for someone to be there when I have my family friends and my husband
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:12 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• No, I wouldn't! I see it as a huge waste of money!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:17 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• The hospital I gave birth in has doulas on call, free of charge, and I used one during my labor. She was great and a big help. I wanted to go pain med free (which I did) and wanted someone that would be able to help me with positions, etc to make the pain more bearable. My husband was great, but I knew anything he suggested I would chalk up to what does he know, he's a man. If I have another baby, I would consider hiring a doula that I meet beforehand.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:24 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Absolutely.   I love hearing such wonderful stories about doulas~ and my own personal experiences have been amazing-- I ENCOURAGE YOU TO DO IT!   :-D
    (Even if you can't work a lot, just helping one mother to have a better birth experience is worth it!)

For more encouragement, keep in mind:

A doula’s presence at birth

• tends to result in shorter labors with fewer complications

• reduces negative feelings about one’s childbirth experience

• reduces the need for pitocin (a labor-inducing drug), forceps or vacuum extraction and cesareans

• reduces the mother’s request for pain medication and/or epidurals

doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:39 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Yeah, I almost had a gal working on her doula license come in for my labor, but she was out of town..but that was going to be free.

As much as I'd like one for this labor, I don't think I can afford one.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 11:21 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• if i had the money i would have both a doula for the birth and PP. we don't have any money but i do have a doula in training attending my birth! =) good luck to you.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:36 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• if i had the money i would absolutely hire a post partum doula
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:55 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Family and friends are great but unless they are trained in birth they cannot help the way a doula does. If you choose the right doula it is not a waist of money. Doulas reduce the rate of cesareans by 50% and reduce a lot of other interventions. You have to be careful with hospital doulas as they work for the hospital. Independent doulas work for you. I am a certified doula and would have a doula myself. My husband is great but he doesn't know what a doula does, and he also needs support in such an emotional and important time!
    As far as a business goes, if that is your passion go for it. It is a growing field. Many still don't know what it is or what the benefits are, but the more doulas that are out there the more people will learn the importance of having one.
    My business: www.lcdoulaservices.com
    Zeresh

Answer by Zeresh at 4:11 PM on Sep. 8, 2010