How do I get my 13month old to sleep independently?

I have been co-sleeping since she was born in order to get some sleep myself. Now I know she no longer has the need to nurse at night, but she insists on being nursed back to sleep each time she wakes. This means that for over a year now I never get more than a couple hours of sleep at a time!!!! I want to transition her into her crib now because I really need some rest and space. Some nights she nurses continuously, and it's just too much. Ideally, I would ask my boyfriend to help put her to sleep so she learns she doesn't need mommy's boobies to go to sleep, but he is essentially useless, and he really isn't interested in my plight :/ Please help, I'm starting to lose my mind.

disco007

Asked by disco007 at 10:15 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can do it mama! I have written an article on this exact issue. It does work - you just have to stick to it.

~~>>READ MY JOURNAL<<~~

RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:18 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I did this fairly recently. I put the baby in his crib (he was actually a bit older than your child) and put him to bed for the night. If he woke up I waited 5 -10 minutes to see if he would go back to sleep. If not, I would go in, hug him, kiss him, pat him, and put him back down. Leave. Wait 10 minutes and see if he went back to sleep.

The first few nights were the hardest. But after about a week he stopped even waking up.
    Anonymous

• Maybe try night weaning from the nursing while she is still in bed with you. I had to do this when DD was 18 months old - she wasn't sleeping anymore and neither was I. the nursing was such a "habit" she would freak out if the boob wasn't in her mouth. After you get the night weaning down, then maybe try getting her into her own bed. But I would take baby steps with it so she doesn't get overwhelmed with everything happening
    Jayme

Answer by Jayme at 11:11 AM on Jan. 16, 2010