I recently got married again but my kids r having a tuff time respecting my husband i think he jokes with them to much and he is afraid to be mean thinking they will hate him we have been going back and forth on how to deal with them would love for some inside tips if any one eles can give us !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

floridagirl32

Asked by floridagirl32 at 10:18 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Coming from experience, make sure you're both on the same page with everything. If you say something, he needs to back you, and same for him. He needs to be thought of in the same respect as you with your children. He needs to make that clear now or they will try to walk all over him.
    Our boys listen to my Hubby (their stepdad) as well as they listen to me. They even call him Dad, all on their own, and I think that comes from the love and respect they have for him.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:29 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• GIVE THE KIDS SOME TIME, YOU SAID RECENTLY MARRIED, THEY WILL FALL IN LOVE WITH HIM FOR THE PERSON HE IS JUST LIKE YOU DID! LOL HE IS JUST FRESH MEAT AND THEY ARE TENDERIZING HIM. GOOD LUCK
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 10:49 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Find things that will help bond him with the children. Put him in charge of homework duty, or bedtime duty, etc. That way they feel his parental role, they understand that special time they get with him, and make sure he knows this means alot to you that the kids know he can be fun but he supports you as a parent first. And by the way, dont try to change him, appreciate his larger than life personality and enjoy being married! Im a newly wed that has 2 step kids and we are an awesome family, we have so much fun together. Just be sure to let your husband know your feelings and be firm, but not degrading. Congrats on your new life with your husband, and treasure every moment. It will eventually start flowing a little better, all good things take time to build! God Bless!!!!!!!
    Blueyz1981

Answer by Blueyz1981 at 11:15 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• A family counselor can help you all learn to communicate

Answer by rkoloms at 7:52 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• how old are your kids, and how involved is their biological father?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:54 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• My kids r 13 10 and 6 and yes they talk to there real dad but we were married 12yrs and he never did anything with them its always been me and them he still hardly calls them they kinda dont care anymore they r so use to it . But my husband now is army so hes not here all the time but when he is home he dose have a hard time more with the 10 and 6 yr old and he has no kids so he kinda married into a family and he dosent want them to hate him so he wants me to do all the punishing but i think he has to do it if its something that happens when im not there. But instead he waits til i get back and tells me what happend and wants me to do something about it lol. Its been really hard i will take any help i can on this one i will be willing to try anything new and talk it through with him so any help u moms got let me no . I would like to say the ones who did answer me is pretty much what i been trying to tell him lol.
    floridagirl32

Answer by floridagirl32 at 5:14 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• But im gonna let him no others agree maybe that will help again ty to everyone who try to help we so need it .
    floridagirl32

Answer by floridagirl32 at 5:15 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• imo, 13 and 10 is pretty old to introduce a disciplinarian. most of the punishments probably should come from you, for a little while anyhow. it is hard to adapt to a new life, especially one that you had no choice in. i like the idea of giving your dh major jobs like bedtime or homework. really, it is wonderful for a step parent to take on new kids! i think being a step parent is harder than being a biological parent. I am speaking from the viewpoint of a stepchild. Our step parents did not get involved in discipline ( at least as far as we knew), they probably offered advise and support when we weren't around. You took on a new challenge, and the harmony may not come easily, but try to keep a positive attitude!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:09 PM on Jan. 14, 2010