Breastfeeding question(not in general I just need advice)

Ok I am currently TTC. When I do finally get my miracle, I wanna breast feed. The problem is that when I have my AF my breast swell and are severly tender. Is the a way around this to where I can breastfeed?

BIMOM21

Asked by BIMOM21 at 10:18 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Also be aware that what was normal for you pre-baby tends to disappear entirely post-baby...you maynever have breast tenderness as a period symptom again.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:13 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I've been BFing for 7 months now. AF returned this week. I think - at least in the beginning - you'll be just fine and not have to worry about that particular problem!
    Good luck!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 10:22 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I'm reading a great book called "Nursing Your Baby" by Karen Pryor. Very good tips and tricks. It has good science and biology to help you understand how lactation works in the mother's body.

Pregnancy and hormones and then BFing hormones are going to be more active in the way your breasts feel than menstrual hormones. You might not have your AF for months while BFing.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:24 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Same here I have been BFing for 7 months and got my period for the first time a few days ago. I know most women don't get their periods for at least a few months if they are BFing. I would be more worried about how bad it feels to start BFing and start preparing for that ASAP if you have tender boobs....
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:25 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• My daughter is almost 5 months old and I have yet to have my period.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:29 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Thats weird. I BF my DD and got my period every month even though I was breastfeeding.
    BIMOM21

Answer by BIMOM21 at 10:31 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Did you supplement at all or not night nurse? That can contribute to periods returning. A few women, can nurse round the clock and still resume their periods, though.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:19 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I fully 100% nursed my daughter and AF returned 6 weeks after I had her:( I can say that my PMS symptoms greatly improved after I had my first baby. My boobs werent as tender (I did not succeed in nursing him) and my cramps were pretty much non-existant after his birth. Hopefully you will experience less breast tenderness but if they still hurt then you have to just be very confident in your decision to breastfeed. If you are confident that breastfeeding is what you want then you will succeed, even through the occasional breast tenderness
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:28 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I don't understand what the question is? What would your period now have to do with breastfeeding later?
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:19 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• LeanneC... I took it that she is concerned about the pain that she will feel in her boobs during AF. If your boobs hurt then the thought of nursing isnt very appealing
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:55 AM on Jan. 14, 2010