dinners?

so every week i make the same things for dinner.. chicken, pasta, pizza, your choice, and pasta again... sometime i will do tacos, or burritos... my 8 year old son will not eat the days i do pasta or chicken, so those nights he starves. i dont make anything else for him, because i made what i made and if you dont wanna eat thats fine, but he has to stay in his room for the night... what do you guys make for dinners? ( he is VERY VERY picky) -he wont even eat sloppy joes- need ideas.. thanks

jennna

Asked by jennna at 10:39 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Why not just let him eat a peanut butter sandwhich? It's not that big of a deal. I'm an adult and not very picky but I'll be damned if I will be made to eat something I dislike. Maybe try some different ways to cook chicken? My daughter loves curries.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:41 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• He could have a texture issue and if thats the case I rather starve then try to choke it down too.You could make hamburgers. Or go on my profile I belong to a group called cooking cafe. There is hundreds of recipes on there. All of them that ive done have been great.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:45 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• bake a chicken, cook sausages, ziti, rice and beans, pork chops, stews, soup, heroes, meatball sandwiches, ribs, corned beef (yum!), ham, turkey, stroganoff, stir fry, chili, enchiladas, hot dogs, burgers, calzones, wellingtons (not hard at all), roast pork, stuffed potatoes, stuffed peppers....man I could go on and on.....these recipes are really easy too...
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 11:05 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• ask him what he would like and then ask him if he wants to help u make it
    its not that hard unless he is little
    my husband is a picky eater and its hard to make 2 different meals but u need to deal with it or let him eat a bologna sandwish,,,grilled cheese and soup
    good luck
    Anonymous

• Maybe you two can sit together and figure out at least 5 simple things that he WILL eat for dinner and you can make those for him....maybe he won't eat pasta or chicken but he might have a few other things he'd be willing to try that are reasonable...I know how annoying it is when your kid won't eat what you cook but I agree with the above poster - I just CAN'T force myself to eat things I don't like and I know what pigs 8 year old boys can be so I don't think he's just trying to be difficult - he may just really dislike the taste...
    good luck!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 11:36 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• my 5 yr old is the king of picky, all skin and bones because he will not eat anything other then cherrios, chicken nuggets, pizza and jelly sandwiches. He will eat green beans if they are with pizza and a banana if he is really hungry.
    At mealtimes I just give him a plate of chicken nuggets and feed the rest of us what I made for dinner. I did used to have the battle of "eat or go hungry" and then he could have a slice of bread and some milk before bed. starving a person of any age is about power and control and well kinda cruel. I'm sorry I do not mean to offend.
    just give up the control and give him what he will eat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Sub night - buy long rolls, meats, cheeses, lettuce, and choice vegetables for toppings, include fresh veggies as sides
    Baked potato bar - Large baked potatoes, cheese sauce, sour cream, broccoli (gets in the veggie!), bacon
    ham, sweet potatoes and green beans
    Hot Dogs and Rice - http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Hot-Dogs-n-Rice/Detail.aspx - add a can of drained corn as well
    Tacos or taco salad - obviously the salad option is healthier
    Add ground beef or turkey, tomatoes, carrots, peppers, and beans of choice to spaghetti sauce and serve it over spaghetti
    Stir Fry
    Pulled pork sandwiches - just buy a pork roast, spring with salt, pepper, and onion powder and brown it on all sides, then throw in the crockpot all day, shred an hour before serving and stir shredded meat in sauce to sit for an hour
    Hamburger/Tuna Helper?
    Tuna Casserole
    Homemade Mac & Cheese
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• why would you knowingly make things he doesnt like and make that his only option? How would you feel if you were forced to rely on some one else for nutrition and they purposely made food that you hated? You are being disrespectful to your son.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Lol sounds like he does not like that type of food and im a big believer if the kid does not like it. its because he/she DOES NOT LIKE IT. he/she is not doing it on purpose to piss you off. My kids do not like eggs what so ever. But should i force it and say here gag on this? No... OP what is one thing or two things you really hate eating? Now let someone try to force you to eat it and see how you react. Quit making the foods he hates... Too much pasta is not healthy in my book. There are other things like Peanut butter on celery, cut up apples, carrots, salads, mac and cheese, home made soup. Chicken enchilads, tacos with ground or shreeded beef. Burritos, roasted vegetables with roasted chicken.. Hamburgers, asparagus? My oldest likes alot of diff foods just not eggs
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 2:26 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.

Maybe you need to expand your list of dinners. Here are recent ones at our house; send me a message offlist if you would like any recipes: No hurry curry
    sweet and sour cabbage rolls
    taco salad
    minestrone soup, salad
    General Tsao’s tofu
    stuffed peppers
    chili and cornbread
    sweet potato and black bean burritos
    Halloween black and orange quesadillas
    black bean soup, quesadillas, avocado salad
    not crab cakes, tofu fish sticks, baked sweet potato “fries”
    dairy-free nachos
    tamale bean pie
    Mexican bean and pasta bake
    white chili
    Stovetop lentil sloppy joes
    Tofu and spinach curry
    Lentil soup
    stew with dumplings
    lentil tacos <

Answer by rkoloms at 7:47 AM on Jan. 14, 2010