Tantrum with my little 3 year old

I want to know if there are any moms out there who can give me TIPS on handling a child with tantrum problems, For example today i brought my son to the mall so he can go and just run around and play at the play area . I got there everything was ok and then he wanted to bring his game system Nintendo DS with him to play and i said NO !! and he just started crying and going CRAZY it was just the worse this has been happening for TOOO long and i really need HELP i dont know what to do and its just dreiving me INSANE PLEASE GIVE ME TIPS!!!!

Carmela_D

Asked by Carmela_D at 10:44 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• ooo my sounds like my 3 year old...he'll scream like a banshee.....when he starts going into tantrum mode I immediately pull him outside and ask him if he wants to go home and sit in his room alone with no dinner and wait for dad.......I dunno if that works for your son, but with mine it gets him to calm down. After I ask him and he says no, then I tell him to shut his lips and stand straight. I'm a smoker, so I'll have him sit down and I'll take a smoke break...allow him to cool down and say to him in advance, you will not scream or yell or throw yourself on the floor or I'm taking you home and telling daddy......it usually woks for a little bit...but as soon as he gets tired he'll start up and I know its time to go home......

You know alot of times, I noticed, children do this to get a reaction...and I don't even give it any mind....just get him out of the situation and have him focus on me...and the consequences...lol
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 10:58 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Ok, so it sounds like the 3 year old I have. As well as my 1 year old. The key is time outs. When mine start their tantrums, I have them look me in the eye and tell me what is wrong first. If this isn't something terrible and they are just throwing fits for no reason or silly reasons...we go into time out. Whether we are at the mall or home. With my 3 year old, she goes into time out UNTIL she calms down and can tell me she is sorry and will be a good girl. We have actually sat on a bench at the mall for 30 minutes not moving until she understood that she couldn't like the wall. And you can't always rely on the 'im telling daddy' thing to help. You have to also be in control or they will never obey you. If they see that daddy isnt around all hell with break loose until he is because they think mommy cant handle them. Good luck! and try the time out thing....so far even with my one year old its worked!!
    Anonymous

• lick** the wall......
    Anonymous