colic

My daughter is 8 weeks and spends most of her awake time crying. She sleeps about 9 hours at night waking once to eat and usually only one nap of about two hours. She falls asleep breastfeeding sometimes but doesn't sleep for more than twenty minutes. I have such a hard time getting her to stop crying unless I breastfeed her. Then she spits up a lot because she is eating too much. Do you think she isn't sleeping enough? Or maybe colic? I really don't know but I can't get anything done because she is always crying.

xredstarsx

Asked by xredstarsx at 11:12 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My baby was the same way. I thought I was going crazy. She never seemed satisfied and always wanted to be on the boob. The doctor kept telling me to move her feedings farther apart.... of course easier said then done. I never was successful, I felt like feeding on demand was better. All I can say is goodluck and I hope it gets better. My daughter is 7 months old and still doesn't like to take naps and still wakes up twice at night to BF ... BUT she doesn't cry all the time anymore, now she can entertain herself and is more independent. and is now a happy baby. Getting her on a schedule helped a little bit...
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 11:23 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Babies like to nurse when they are gassy because it temporarily relieves the gas pains - - Is she burping really well? have you tried mylicon? You can lay her down and "bicycle" her legs, too.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 12:10 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Its likely gas that is keeping her up. Try mylicon drops. Gripe water is really good too. Make sure you burp her really well...if she falls asleep nursing, then she is very likely having an air bubble come up that is causing her pain....pat her back or give her a few bounces and hopefully she'll burp and go back to sleep. If you're not opposed to it - try a pacifier to get her to sleep. If I swaddle my little guy and give him a pacifier and a rock he'll pass right out. *Note, he has to sleep in a quiet room otherwise he doesn't stay asleep. It sounds to me like your little one isn't getting enough sleep...and if she doesn't sleep enough, she'll be upset and cry and the cycle continues. When she starts go show signs that she might be tired, (fussy, cranky, etc.) then do your best to get her to sleep. You could also try a snugli...my daughter loved it when I wore her and she would sleep for hours that way.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 8:07 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• It could be reflux. My daughter cried non stop for a month before we discovered she had reflux. She is on medicine and is much better now and seems to be getting better with age. Good luck. I know how aweful a crying baby can be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• i would try a gripe water before mylicon. babies like to suckle, and they like their moms. let her be with you. Have you considered cutting dairy from your diet? it could be something that you are eating causing painful gas, if that is the problem.
    good luck to you! i know it can be frustrating. at least you are getting sleep at night, though!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:36 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Try using only one breast a feeding. That way the baby will get the high fat hindmilk and feel full. If the baby gets the low fat milk from both breasts and then the high fat milk from that second breast it can be too much and out it comes. It's called finish the first breast first. The next feeding use the other breast.

Its rare for a baby to be sensitive to things a mother eats unless you have a strong history of allergies in both families.

Some babies cry most of the time for months. Put her her in a sling so you can try to get things done. My grandson cried for 9 months until he could walk and then the crying pretty much stopped. My heart goes out to you.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:18 PM on Jan. 14, 2010