too young for piercings?

i have a 12 yr old sister in the 7th grade and she happens t want to b like all the other girls n have piercings everywhere...i had every peircing imaginable...tounge, belly, nipples, chest and wrist etc... but i started wen i was 15 and my other sis started wen she was 16...my mom always consults me cuz i helped raise m sisters...wen my kid is born i'd b a hipocrite to say no so i think 15 is a reasonable age to start....arent i right for telling my kid sister no ? she's only 12!

preqopiixiie

Asked by preqopiixiie at 11:47 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• we understand and are a little more sensitive to those situations when we're the parent, or have grown up and out of that stage, and that's why we freak. but the kids themselves won't understand until down the road. It happens with everything.
    In my family, we were allowed our first and only, ear piercing at age 8 and weren't allowed to have any other than that.
    I think maybe by the time you have kids though, your kid sister will be on your side about it :) lol
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 11:52 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I think this is all personal opinion, I would allow my DD ears at anytime she asks as long as it is her choice. 13 to me is okay for any piercings like nose, toungue, belly, but I won't go get them all done. I would agree to a couple then as she gets older we will go from there. If course my DD is only 3 so this all could change in time.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 11:53 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Well 12 and 15 still is sorta a big different, once she is 15 shes basically almost a teen ager...at 12 shes still pretty much a kid. I got my first piercing at 15 as well ( eyebrow ) and have some still myself.
    sexy_can_i

Answer by sexy_can_i at 11:54 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I have piercings but 12yrs old is too too young!! besides my ears which I think is okay to do young, the first thing I got pierced was my belly button at 16yrs old, then my tongue at 19yrs old then my labreau(sp?) or chin ring whichever you want to call it when I was 21yrs old in my opinion thats a little too young!
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 11:56 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• If my daughter wishes, I will let her get an additional ear hole at 13. Her nose pierced at 16. Belly button at 16. There isnt much else I would let her get, because if and when she changes her mind when she gets older, I dont want there to be some huge scar or hole on her body that she cant cover up because of a dumb mistake when she was a teenager.

I have piercings, but they are all where you either cant see them or if when I take them out there wont be a big hole. =)
    Anonymous

• My dd has her ears pierced. Anything else, and she can wait until she's 18. Not because I have a problem with it, but because, whether it's fair or not, it can affect getting jobs, etc, and also because I know, depending on what gets pierced, there can be a higher infection / problems with healing rate (I have some friends with several piercings, and some with a lot of tattoos, and they've told me this).

At 18, it's her body, her choice, and she has to take responsibility for it. Younger than that, it's my responsibility. (This is the same reason that, even though I'm a vet, and my dh is Active Duty, we won't sign to let our 17 yr old go into Delayed Entry in the military - he can enlist at 18 if he wants, not before.)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:26 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I told my 12 yr old daughter yesterday she is too young . She wants" snake bites " below her lip . I am not against piercings at all , my youngest child's dad is a tattoo artist and i have a bunch of tats . but i think 12 is too young . When i feel more comfortable with her age being older like closer to 14 or 15 , I am still concerned for her teeth if she gets any type of lip or mouth piercings. I told her she could get her eyebrow pierced at age 13y but she doesn't like that spot. I think i am just most concerned about her teeth getting damaged .She is very mature for her age and I am pro - self expression .
    In the meantime I am going to talk to the dentist and research how many people have problems w/ lip piercings concerning their teeth.
    moon34

Answer by moon34 at 11:09 PM on Apr. 6, 2010