At What age did you potty train your child?

My son is almost 18 months. I have been loosely potty training him since about 15 months. He will wake up every morning and go potty and he will go sometimes throughout the day. Usually once or twice. His paternal grandmother has given me a hard time saying that it is way too early and boys don't potty train until age 3. This seems ridiculous to me since I teach SPED preschoolers and most of them come in trained at 3. So I just want to compare notes. Obviously, I am not letting her opinion sway me but I wanna see if I am average or ahead. :)

MommyRuby2008

Asked by MommyRuby2008 at 12:05 AM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you are a little ahead. I think it is currently recommended to start at 18 months. Just take his cues...he will let you know. 3 does seem a little late to me. I think kids of normal development should be potty trained or potty training at 2.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:49 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Started (at the urging of our family doctor) the first time at 18 months. The child was reading and tying her shoes before she was potty-trained at four.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:50 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• my son is almost 14mos, and we haven't really "set" an age at which we want to start potty training him. we'll just kind of take things as they come and follow his lead.

I have 2 nephews that are close in age (about 4mos apart), one will be 3 in march, the other 3 in july. the march baby, isn't even started to be potty trained yet and the july baby is fully potty trained already, has been workin on potty training for almost a year.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 8:10 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• We did what you did around 17 or 18 months. At 19, nearly 20 months, we put her in underwear, cleaned up a bunch of accidents, and then she was trained in about a week, has been since. She still wears a pull-up for bed (2.5 now). I definitely don't think you need to wait till he's 3 just because he's a boy... I know boys who trained fine before their second birthday.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:41 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I started at 18 mos... letting her tell me when she had to go. Then we tried panties (19 mos) and she kept going in them so I'd put her on the little potty while I sat on the big one... at first that was fun but pretty soon (20 mos) she wouldn't even go near her potty! So I put it in the closet and now at 2 years old she's dry all night and might have one little accident all day. I do not think you need to wait until 3!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 10:20 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Thanks ladies.
    MommyRuby2008

Answer by MommyRuby2008 at 6:01 PM on Jan. 14, 2010