Do you think divorce is ever God's will?

In a marriage where both parties are faithful, no abuse, both in love with each other, both willing to do whatever they can to make it work, and have children together.

My uncle has informed my aunt he is divorcing her. He will not even talk about it with her. He said his mind is made up, and there is nothing left to talk about. After much pressuring he finally told her that it is God's will for him to divorce her. He said he prayed about it and was told that he has to divorce his wife.
Needless to say my aunt is devastated. She is confused of what to do. She feels she needs to trust her husband and believe what he is saying.

To me this doesn't sit well. I think God's will is for a family to be together and happy. I (and the rest of our family) is left wondering if there is more to this that he is hiding.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think divorce is ever God's will... with that said...
    I do think that God knows the plans He has for us. He has given us free will and sometimes we choose to do things outside of His will for us. The same can go for the spouse we choose. So, those people may in fact grow apart if God isn't the center of their marriage. On the other hand, if we choose a different person than God has intended for us, that doesn't mean that God condones divorce. This is the choice we made and God expects us to live with it and MAKE it His will.

With all of that said... I do believe that there are rare situations that God has no problems with divorce. Abuse. And to an extent, infidelity. The key is to have God at the center of your marriage.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 9:37 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• isn't everything that happens god's will? I'm not trying to be rude, i'm honestly asking
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 12:44 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I think your uncle probably has something going on the side. Sorry, just that men sometimes stay and do no the the guts to telll the truth. He is probably using prayer as an excuse. That is to make his guilt (go away). if he has a conscience, it may be bothering him. Good luck and best wishes to your aunt. Just be there for her and keep her company. This is a common male behavior.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• isn't everything that happens god's will?

No, I believe we have freedom of choice. We don't always make the choices God wants us to.
    Anonymous

• i think your uncle is just making an excuse or something. In my own opinion family have to stay together. God is Love, that 's what i know. yes everthing happens in God's will. but i don't think being selfish is GOD"s will.
    jjfaraon

Answer by jjfaraon at 12:48 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I think that a lot of times people use that as an excuse to do what they want, and not what God actually wants.

Do I think that there are times that God condones / accepts a divorce? Yes, I do - abuse, adultery, etc. (There are scriptural references that talk about this, adultery being grounds for it, and in the original text the word for adultery means abandonment of your vows.)

But, in the case where there appears to be no problems, but wham, out of the blue, one or the other wants a divorce - NO, I don't believe that's God's will. At the very least, I think he owes it to her and to their marriage, and yes, to God, to go to marriage counseling first.

But honestly, it sounds like he's either going through a midlife crisis or is having an affair, if, out of the blue, he's wanting to leave and won't talk about why.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:50 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• If your uncle believes in God, then he should believe this scripture to be true.

1 Corinthians 7:11.

11But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Your uncle is using God as an excuse to divorce... that is so wrong. It is not God's will for divorce. His will is to restore and reconcile but man has a free will to choose to obey or disobey. He is not wanting to deal with the real deep rooted issues for why he is divorcing her and choosing to use God as a way out ... wrong on so many levels!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:02 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Um no and I dont think its "God's will" that makes him want to divorce. My first husband told me out of the blue that he wanted a divorce and tried to leave it at that so I dug around and found out he had a whole other life and girlfriend on the side that I was completely unaware of. Thats what this reminds me of but then Im bitter....
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 1:12 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

---------------
    No. Ecclesiastes 9:11 "time and unforeseen occurrence befall them all."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:54 AM on Jan. 14, 2010