Is it inappropriate to "steal" a baby name that a family member or friend has already used?

I just found out that I'm having a girl and I really love the name Dahlia (doll-ee-ah), the problem is my cousin named her daughter Dahlia (now 5 or 6). She lives out of state and I haven't seen them in years--is it tacky to "steal" the name for my own baby? We are also considering Nadiyah but think it may be too "sexy".

Tkelly3

Asked by Tkelly3 at 1:25 AM on Jan. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• Wow, you ladies need to lighten up, really. Dahlia is a beautiful name, and it's not "stealing" it in this situation. I can imagine being hesitant if you saw this cousin every day or something. But since you haven't talked to them in years, why should it be a problem? If that's the name that calls to you for your daughter, by all means use it.
    And to the person who said that they ended a friendship over something as stupid and trivial as this, well maybe you weren't really good friends to begin with.
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 6:31 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Well Just ask yourself if you had a 5 or 6 year old daughter and your cousin named her your daughter's name. Would you care? Make your decision based on that!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• not really inappropriate, but I find it makes for much less confusion if you just pick a different name. I have a brother and 2 cousins with the same name. It makes things difficult when talking about them and at times like Christmas when opening gifts. It sucks to have to do things like that like in school with initials after names to distinguish who's who. James G, James H, James R.
    and if you are thinking of giving her a nickname to use instead to avoid the problems like that, just name her the other name instead of giving her one name with plans of calling her a totally different one.

and just me, but after watching Black Dahlia, I wouldn't pick the name anyways
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• i personally couldnt do that!! i dont think its right...but thats me..i dont like naming my kids after people in my family..or friends..i named my girl alexis...and since then, ther have been 5 other people that i know that have used alexis as well...and..i dunno, i dont like that!! i mean in a way its kinda like a compliment...but...really all i can think is "think of your own name"...i also really love the name paige for a girl....but my sister has a friend who named their daughter that...therefore i wont ever use it..maybe as a middle name..but not for a first..but im weird like that, i guess
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:36 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I agree with the pp's. We named our son after my brother in law and my brother - BUT asked my brother in law first. My brother was only 4, so we didn't really ask him, but we used his name as a middle name, so it wasn't that big a deal.

Also, as far as the name being "too sexy" - keep in mind that your baby isn't going to be a baby forever. So, when you pick your name, you shouldn't just picture this cute little bundle with the name, but also a 10 yr old, a 15 yr old, a 25 yr old, a 40 yr old, and a 70 yr old with that name...

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:38 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Well, I Ioved the name long before she ever even got pregnant, so I wouldn't be naming my baby after her daughter. I haven't even heard from or seen her in five years...so I'm kinda wondering if it even matters. I just haven't found any other names I've fallen in love w/like this one. I'll keep looking but I'm not going to settle...
    Tkelly3

Answer by Tkelly3 at 1:51 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I don't think its that bad if you barley talk to them.... if you like the name then use it.. your the one who has to live with it .. Nadiyah is to sexy.. maybe nahdean
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 2:03 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• My cousin named his dd Kennedy which I wanted to name my dd but didn't because he already did.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• you should call and ask them what they would think about the situation. Do you really lack the creativity to come up with another name other than the one already used my a family member? IMO Dahlia is a horrible name anyway. Nadiyah is much prettier and doesnt look like you are recycling names/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:36 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• i'd call and ask. i doubt she'll say "no, don't do it" because most people aren't that forward anyway. but you'd know you were at least courteous enough to consider her opinion and she'd have a chance to say whether or not she has a problem with it. it might seem like an akward situation, but it's even more akward for her to just hear you stole her dd's name and secretly bash you for it. just be up front. btw, dahlia is a beautiful name, but if you're iffy about it, nadiyah is just as beautiful sounding. so either way, you can't go wrong. good luck =)
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 3:58 AM on Jan. 14, 2010