My son is 2yrs old he eats just about anything. But he wont drink milk? What can I do to get him to drink milk?

My son eats any and every kind of food there is. I dont give him junk food. He eats raw onions, celery, bellpeppers. etc I have no problems with him eating food. its just that he want drink milk. not chocolate or strawberry milk. He does takes flinestone vitiamns. Is there any advice someone can give me.

Alwaysquita

Asked by Alwaysquita at 2:32 AM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is he possibly lactose intolerant? My cousin is lactose intolerant and has no symptoms except that it upsets her stomach a little. She never liked milk either.. It was like an instict. If he is you could always try soy... my kids drink soy because they are lactose intolerant. Soy comes in many flavors.
    If hes not lacose intolerant doe he eat cheese or yogurt? If he is eating other dairy products I wouldn't be too concerned over the milk. as long as he is gettiing calcium from other foods. If you are worried about it talk to his pediatrician, they will be able to help you.
    MamaCass05

Answer by MamaCass05 at 2:40 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I wouldnt worry too much about it as long as he is getting other sources of calcium. Humans dont need milk, it is just the quickest easiest form of calcium.
    Also, I would look into another vitamin. You are just throwing your money away with those because kids basically just poop them right out....or so I have heard, I am not an expert but I have been told by several people that when it comes to vitamins, you get what you pay for.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:46 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• try giving him yogurt or cheese instead..if its the calcium youre worried about...not drinking milk is fine..have you tried switching milk.try something lighter, like skim or 1%..so its not so "milky"...or maybe warm it up for him..maybe he'll like it that way..i was watching "the doctors" yesterday, and they said that kids actually prefer to drink milk warm....worth a shot!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:55 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• He doesn't need milk. My daughter is 14 and has never had a glass of milk. Cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn’t digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 6:24 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• He doesnt need cows milk since he is not a cows baby! As long as he is getting all of his nutrients from other foods there is nothing to worry about.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 7:48 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Some kids just don't like milk! If he likes cheese or yogurt or orange juice-which you can get fortified with calcium-it's no problem! :)
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 8:48 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• You can't make him, and it's not really that necessary. My oldest will eat cheese and yogurt all day, but refuses to drink milk ever. We just don't give it to her.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 8:54 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• My 16 month old won't drink it either. I give her cheese or yogurt with every meal, plenty of spinach... I just asked about this on here.. my pediatrician thinks it's an issue, but I'm not going to force it.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:39 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Some kids just don't like milk. I hate milk. My son loves it but my DD won't touch it. Just feed him stuff that's high in calcium like yogurt and broccoli.

Also, there is a gummy calcium supplement for toddlers. I give my kids the gummy vites and the gummy calcium every day.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:04 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I wouldn't worry about it. My kids didn't drink straight milk until they were 3 (they did drink ovaltine, though)... Does he eat cheese?
    hisemma

Answer by hisemma at 11:29 AM on Jan. 14, 2010