I'm ignorant, I get it....but is HPV really an STD!?!

I hear it is, then I hear it isn't...I google it and still get mixed replies. So I am pregnant, I had an abnormal pap-smear they are saying it could be HPV but can't go "into" looking/scraping and I even got a letter than said it looked "pre-cancerous" (sp?) but of course they won't touch or do anything to me till my son is born. I've 3 more month till his birth then I'm suppose to go back 5 wks after. Okay, so my question is I was tested with all 3 ppl I've slept with, the last guy gave me clymedia (sp?) and I didn't care if it was curable I didn't like feeling dirty or that i had something. Can guys carry the HPV if it is an STD? I don't have any warts though! And pre-cancerous?!? Does that mean it's worsening while I'm pregnant?!?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:04 AM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Health

• HPV is, technically a form of STD, in that you can only get it by having sex. Guys can't catch it, and I don't think there's a way they can test men for it, but they can carry it. It can lay dormant in a woman for yrs and yrs before they test positive for it. It doesn't mean you will ever have warts or anything like that, nor does it mean that you'll have cancer. You do need to wait until the baby is born before they do more testing, but since your baby is going to be born in 3 months, that shouldn't be a problem.

Odds are, they're going to test you and tell you that you're fine, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:18 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• HPV is an STD and yes guys can catch it. Thats how its transmitted, it can just remain dormant in them and they will have no idea they even have it, however in women it can cause cervical cancer and other things.

HPV (the virus). Approximately 20 million Americans are currently infected with HPV. Another 6 million people become newly infected each year. HPV is so common that at least 50% of sexually active men and women get it at some point in their lives.

Genital warts. About 1% of sexually active adults in the U.S. have genital warts at any one time.

Cervical cancer. Each year, about 12,000 women get cervical cancer in the U.S.

Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 4:32 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Contd

Other cancers that can be caused by HPV are less common than cervical cancer. Each year in the U.S., there are about:

* 3,700 women who get vulvar cancer
    * 1,000 women who get vaginal cancer
    * 1,000 men who get penile cancer
    * 2,700 women and 1,700 men who get anal cancer
    * 2,300 women and 9,000 men who get head and neck cancers. [Note: although HPV is associated with some of head and neck cancers, most of these cancers are related to smoking and heavy drinking.]

Certain populations are at higher risk for some HPV-related health problems. This includes gay and bisexual men, and people with weak immune systems (including those who have HIV/AIDS).

RRP is very rare. It is estimated that less than 2,000 children get RRP every year in the U.S.
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 4:33 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• http://www.cdc.gov/STD/HPV/STDFact-HPV.htm
    Itsonono

• ys it is a std, and yes guys can carry it with out showing any symptoms, the hpv vaccine will be approved for boys before long since they carry and pass it to us girls, and girls are the onees that itcan cause cancer with
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:09 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• before you worry too much...abnormal cells during a pap can be caused from inserting anything into your vagina up to 24 hours before your pap (this includes sex). they are finding now that often times abnormal cells on the cervix are healing themselves, and that we have been over treating this "condition". that being said, i am not sure how long it would take for cells to heal after childbirth. 6 weeks may be too soon, but this is something i have not looked into myself.
    to answer your questions...hpv is a std. men can get it, and guardisil will soon be marketing their vaccine to young boys (personally i am opposed to all vaccines). there are many types of hpv, it is a virus there are about 100 types, some cause warts and they say that some cause cervical cancer. i never heard about hpv being linked with those other cancers, but that doesn't mean it is not true. cont
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:11 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• i have never looked at the research myself. try to relax and enjoy your pregnancy. those abnormal cells may be healing rather than worsening while you are pregnant. don't be so afraid of that cancer word. for some reason they are using abnormal cells and pre cancerous cells interchangably, and that is not right.
    Good Luck to you and your pregnancy, try to relax and let your baby grow into a healthy little one for you!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:16 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I have been pregnant three times. Everytime I am pregnant...they say I have abnormal paps and after the baby is born they wanna do the culpo/biopsy thing that they can't do while I'm pregnant...but when they go to look at it after the baby comes...everything looks normal...so they think I have HPV when I'm pregnant...but when the baby comes, apparently it goes away? So I think it does worsen when you are pregnant. But as far as it being an STD...i'm not sure...it is technically a virus...so it may very well be. And I do believe men can carry the virus....because I got it from my ex. If I have it that is...anyway...good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Certain populations are at higher risk for some HPV-related health problems. This includes gay and bisexual men, and people with weak immune systems (including those who have HIV/AIDS).

That angers me. Just because a man is bisexual or gay he is more apt to get HPV or HIV/AIDS? This does not make sense to me. Why? Because they have unprotected sex? Who says? Just because a man is gay or bisexual...does not mean he cares any less about his sexual health. I hate stereotypes...and I hate how gay men have to deal with this. Its not right. That statement really upsets me....anyone else?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• It's an STD. It's only transmitted during sex and yes men get it too. Most men in this country are circumcised, therefore they never have symptoms. But if they are not they will have symptoms and even cancer from HPV as well...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:37 AM on Jan. 14, 2010