What kind of mom are you?

This is not intended to be a bashfest. This is supposed to be fun. What kind of mom are you? Where are you from? Do you work or stay at home? And what works for you when raising children?

Cappy1979

Asked by Cappy1979 at 7:41 AM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My kids are small (18 months) so I'm still finding out what type of mom I am! I like to think I'll be a mom like mine was, but a little more involved in the things that my kids are interested in (my mom never came to watch me cheerlead or play rugby...likely because she didn't "approve" because she DID come to all the band and music related events I was in). I will NOT be a "cool" mom that is friends with my children - I have enough friends and they will too. I am a married career mom and my kids go to daycare (at the best friggin home daycare EVER!). We live in Ontario Canada.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 7:52 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• what works for me and my kids are a few basic things
    give kids a stable home with consistency and two parents that don't have baggage
    give kids love and support always in everything they do without judgement of their choices
    give kids freedom to enjoy their life and their experiences without fear
    no excessive sugars, caffeine, tv, videogames-you'd be surprised at how wonderful children can be when a parent decides to be a parent instead of a friend, buddy, or control freak.
    I'm a very free mom, as long as my kids are well behaved they can do what they want.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:20 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• i am an awesome mom! (at least that's what everyone else tells me.)
    i work about 32hrs/wk in the salon, and my ds is my 'third leg'...if i'm not at work, we're together. since my dh works/lives out of town, i'm practically single. i'm not obsessed with 'sugar, tv time, video games'--surprisingly enough, my ds is the smartest in his class, so say his teachers..so yes, he gets sugar, tv time, and video games when he wants. he's learning responsibility for his actions, he keeps his room clean, he does everything he needs to do to be a productive member of our household..for a 4 1/2yo. he gets a 'treat' more than occasionally, whether its a new toy, book, or a run to the park or ice cream parlor..whatever seems to be on his wish- list-for-now..its great being an only! he's fully vaccinated and very healthy. we cook together, read together, walk together. we're tight!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:42 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• my son is only 5...right now i feel like i am pretty easy going. We have fun. There are rules though and he does have responsbilities such as cleaning his room and picking up toys, feeding the cats. I am enjoying our mother/son relationship right now...i dont know what kind of mother i will be down the road when he becomes a teenager because i know what kind of things teens like to get into and i am willing to dish out the tough love if i have to. I'm only hope that i can guide him in the right directions
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:09 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I'm a liberal mom.  I set boundaries and guidelines but I give my children the space they need to discover themselves.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:29 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• i am combination of a few different things....i keep a very close eye on my children.....but they have lots of freedom from chores (i grow up doing house work and resented my mother because of it)they only thing they clean is thier room......i attend every event the kids do and encourage many more.......but i dont encourage sleep overs, they never ride the bus, and the girls 14,12 have cell phones so i can call and keep tabs on what they are doing......and they are turning out to be great kids....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:52 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I'm the best mom I can be.
    My kids are Angelica Jade, my beautiful 2year old little girl.
    And Damien Michael, my gorgeous 7 month old little boy.
    So they are still so young...that I'm not exactly sure 100% what works, or what will work =)
    I am a SAHM, and I love it. Sometimes I wish I could go to work, but I'd probably go nuts without my kids
    even though I always say I want a break! Also, I'm only 20 and me and hubby try our hardest to do everything right and be the best parents we can be...and so far, our kids are happy and healthy, and I believe we are doing a great job =)
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 10:12 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• i am a very good mom. at times i was and still am overly protective. my children are first and foremost in my life. i try to let my kids know they could come to me and discuss any topic. i would always try to understand.I always try to let my kids know that there is nothing in thiu world that can't be fixed or at least to be able to find a solution for.
    nana2u10

Answer by nana2u10 at 10:46 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I'm pretty laid-back compared to a lot of moms I know, including some of my sisters-in-law, lol. I come from a LARGE family, and I hugely admire my sisters who all have 4+ kids. What I know about being a mom, I learned from them... and they don't stress over the little things either. We were actually just having a discussion about kids who climb out of their cribs ~ when my boys started doing that, I took the side off. Or I put pillows all over the floor around the crib, lol. Yeah, it's a pain in the butt transition to go from crib to bed, but it's gonna happen at some point.
    I'm a SAHM for now. Looking for a job, as I'm now a single mom, but with some really fabulous friends.
    Being a mom is a constant learning experience. It's so great, no matter what kind of mom you are! :)
    hisemma

Answer by hisemma at 11:19 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• My kids are 13, 19, 16, 4 and 3. I work part time in the winter. I have been having kids since 1986. I vaxed my kids...they are all fine. I nursed my kids. I gave them cereal and fruit at 4 mo's according to my ped's advice, all are healthy. I did not co-sleep, I used time out..we call them "think about its" I don't get pissy over moms who bottle feed, or whatever...it is not my business. I expose my kids to art, music, nature. We play outside, not video games. I let them help me cook, clean, etc. They have chores and are held accountable for their behavior. I send them to private school, they play sports, and play instruments. I believe in down time, and don't over schedule them, but the more active they are the less likely they are to get in trouble. They are great, smart, kind kids, and I am proud to be their mom.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:47 PM on Jan. 14, 2010