How do you deal with talking and can't shut up disease?

When it's someone you cannot escape and have to interact with (co-worker, family member at family functions, etc) do you try to get them to shut up? Is it better to offend them and have silence or keep the "peace" and suffer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I stay busy or get busy quickly....lol.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:43 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• OMG, this is me! SO taught me to shut up. Before him people let me ramble on. I guess they thought I was lonely and needed to talk. I don't think we talkers think about how much we are saying. I guess I should also say I have ADHD and sometimes my brain goes from one subject to another and I keep sharing what I'm thinking! lol Sometimes I remind myself of the dog in the movie "UP" when he gets distracted and says SQUIRREL and off one subject and on to another! SO is military and likes things in simplified form. If I say it in more words than necessary he'll walk away. (rude but effective) So now I say what needs to be said and give others a chance to speak. My teachers used to tell me to remain quiet and let my brain rest but they didn't realize my brain seems to never rest, it's on full throttle all the time! I just have to learn to curb my words so I write...as you can see by me writing so much in this post! lol

Answer by admckenzie at 9:45 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• That's my step mom. We just walk away. It's so bad, we'll call her,a nd she'll answer mid sentence talking to us! darn caller id.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I just flat out tell them, "I've got to have this done in an hour. I'll talk to you later." I also fib about deadlines or things that are taking my attention away. There was a chatty obnoxious guy at a place i used to work. One of my allies would call my office and tell me there was an emergency to get the chatty guy to leave. Our offices were next to each other so he could rescue me if I got in too deep.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:13 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• ha i was at a friends house and her family was over and one of her uncles or something was just a raaaaambling on and on to me and like ALL UP IN my face. he was nice, friendly but damn i needed a break from him after about 2 minutes!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Duct tape works wonders. ;-)

Seriously, though... I usually make "panicky eyes" at someone I know. Or I say "umm oops! Need a refill on my drink!" Or something. "I'm sorry but I have to pee" works really well, too.
    hisemma

Answer by hisemma at 11:27 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I have social anxiety and will start talking and cannot stop. I get so nervous and it happens. I have been treated very rudely so I rarely leave my house now and never attend any of my husbands work functions. My family doesn't understand so we rarely speak. I hate I am that way but so far no meds have helped me calm my nerves down so I can calm down and not talk to much. Sucks to not be able to shut up sometimes sucks more people know this about me and still are mean. Good thing I like being alone. My husband is wonderful and is the only person I can be quiet with and just not speak.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• At work, earphones, it is very effective.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 11:40 AM on Jan. 14, 2010