want to go off pill six months before ttc. other birth control suggestions?

we are going to begin ttc in july - just about six months from now! i'm going to the doctor in march, and will ask her this same question then, but thought i would check in to see if anyone had suggestions before then!

i have been on the pill for almost ten years and have never gone off of it. i would like to stop taking the pill soon (this month or next month, ideally) so that my periods can return to normal and i can begin tracking my ovulation.

have any of you gone off the pill this far in advance (six months) before ttc? i'll want to use a different form of birth control until july, but something that doesn't interfere with my natural ovulation. any suggestions? i have a mild latex allergy, so condoms aren't so fun for us!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• There are non latex condoms
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:47 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• condoms are your only method that won't effect ovulation unless you go with abstinence or pull-out method.

they do make laytex free condoms, they are made from polyurethane.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• You can go off the pill and ttc right away. That is one use of the pill for infertility patients. I always had hormone problems and that's how I would be able to get pregnant. I would take the pill for a few months, come off and I would get pregnant right away. It's the only way I was able to get pregnant 6 times. I had 3 miscarriages and 3 sons.

You can take your temps and chart to see when you ovulate as soon as you go off the pill. Using my temp charts it was very obvious when I ovulated and I think that is why I could always get pregnant right away after going off the pill.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:03 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Diaphragm or condoms
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• What about a diaphragm? They work without hormones and have no side effects. They never caused a stroke, infertility or PID; you won't gain weight, get depressed, or lose your libido; your periods won't be affected. They have never been the subject of class action lawsuits and are instantly reversible.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:42 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Your options are condoms (there are non latex ones) the sponge, a diaphragm, or cervical cap. I went off the pill 3 months before our wedding and we used the sponge until then and then I got pregnant on our honeymoon.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:48 AM on Jan. 14, 2010