Toddler & his highchair!

My 17 month old son will NOT stay seated in his highchair. He is not old enough yet to sit in a chair himself, all he wants to do is get down and tear everything out of the cupboards. It did have straps to strap him in but I took them out cause he hated that when he was younger. Now I think I will have to do that again.

Any other ideas? He keeps standing up and I know one of these days he is going to fall out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• put the straps back in it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• consistency is always key with these buggers! :) I have a newly turned 2 toddler who refuses to sit in his chair and likes to actually take his plate and dump it on the floor and eat like a dog! Got me where he learned that, but with consistency he is learning that isn't proper manners......there will always be things to teach them. Try to keep sitting him down in the big boy chair or tell him he cant eat and take his plate away. Eventually he will come back to the table knowing mama isnt playing and will sit to eat. Or try maybe a little table his size he can practice manners at...GL
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 10:22 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• put the straps back in... I also started using a booster seat at about 14 mos. That way my toddler sits at the same table and it's more exciting. She's been climbing out a lot more at 2 years but we can still get her to sit back down without using the straps. My dd HATED her high chair so we got rid of it early!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 10:22 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Have you tried a regular chair? You could be surprised. My little one was like that in her high chair but sits well in a regular chair. We got a booster that you put on the bottom of a regular chair -- called a Kaboost -- so maybe she thinks she's up too high to get down on her own. She sits really well, though. She's 16 months.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:24 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

•  all he wants to do is get down and tear everything out of the cupboards

Pershaps his done eating since he wants to do something else. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Jan. 14, 2010