smoking while preggers

I am just over 11 weeks pregnant, I found out at 5 weeks...initially i quit smoking right away, but i work at a restaurant and have the hardest time not craving one at work...recently ive been pretty stressed out and find myself having about 2 or 3 a day ( take them from my boyfriend) I feel so guilty and know i will quit but its really hard..any advice? how much damage am I actually doing to my baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• when i was pregnant with my first, i smoked til i was about 24 weeks. i found out at 22 weeks (long story) so i quit asap. hes a completely healthy 3 and a half year old. he was born at 37 weeks 4 days. he weighed 8lbs 15.6 oz. talk to your dr. they can give u tips on how to manage stress and to help you quit. ive heard that sometimes a dr. will only recommend to cut down and not quit completely because the stress is worse than smoking to the baby. idk if its true tho. just something i heard.
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 10:26 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Of course it is not good to smoke while pregnant or smoke in general but I know some people do get stressed and can't help it. I have never smoked a cigarette in my life, but my mom smoked smoked with all 4 of her kids. They say it can cause low birth weight, but we all weighed between 6lb 6oz and 7lb 2oz so we weren't underweight. If you're going to do it just try and limit yourself and like you said you only smoke 2-3 a day so that isn't as bad as it could be.
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 10:26 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-smoking-during-pregnancy-affects-you-and-your-baby_1405720.bc

some to read on How Smoking effects you and baby.
    .
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 10:26 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• If you want your baby to withdraw from the tar and nicotine when you give birth then keep it up. You know how hard it is for you to stop. Plus if you give in you can always smoke but the baby can't. So the baby has to go through withdrawals with no help. If a newborn can do that then you can. I am sorry if I sound harsh but there are so much help for you out there to quit. My mom smoked with my two sisters but not with me. They smoke. I don't. She put the nicotine in them. My dad wouldn't let her smoke with me. Please ask your dr for help quitting. You are giving your child life. Give your child a healthy life by trying again. I didn't even know restaurants allowed smoking anymore. I know you can't smoke in any restaurants in my town. Maybe you can find a non smoking restaurant to work in.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:27 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• well you are gonna feel even worse because people on here are gonna rip you a good one. Good thing you posted anon. Just google smoking during pregnancy it's everywhere. You are cutting off oxygen to your baby every time you smoke. Would you do that to your baby if he was already here? My mil smoke while pregnant and her kids all have asthma.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Babies born to smokers have a lower birth weight. Smoking is associated with problems in the mother and the fetus: blood pressure, pre-mature labor, lung function issues (due to prematurity), gestational diabetes, growth problems.... the list goes on.

We know with 100% certainty that smoking isn't good for anyone. And it's expensive. And you need that money for baby stuff.

Plenty of women smoke and have normal healthy babies.

It's HARD to quit. I smoked for years. I quit a few years before I got pregnant. And working in the food industry -- it's like you're required to smoke! But you can do it. Something will help you quit. You want me to post terrifying studies up to scare you out of it?
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:28 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I'm so sick of hearing the stress from not smoking is bad for the baby. That is an excuse to continue doing it and enable each other to keep going, You show me a case a mom quit smoking and her baby had bonifide problems. I did it, and I smoke two packs a day. No doctor is going to tell you not to quit and to just cut back. That's some the smoking moms thought they heard had their last visit....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I smoked with both my pregnancies...I smoked less my first pregnancy and my daughter was born full term at 7lbs 4oz perfectly healthy...I smoked more with my second pregnancy and my son was born full term at 8lbs 7.3oz also perfectly healthy. My mother also smoked almost 2packs a day with all of us (4 kids) and we all came out perfectly fine...Good luck
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 10:32 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I don`t care who gets upset by this. I think it is so selfish for people to continue to smoke while prgnant . Smoking causes all kind sof health problems. It is not hard to quit smoking when you get pregnant , your baby doesn`t want to smoke cigarettes.Just stop being a selfish person . It is so disgusting watching woman smoke while pregnant
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• How can you say your baby was perfectly healthy? You have no clue what depriving you child of oxygen for months on end actually did. Or if they will have asthma, or become smokers themselves. Just because they come out one way doesn't mean there isn't an underlying issue just waiting to happen. You all know it's bad for baby, so why even risk it! And shame on you michelle for encouraging someone else to do it. Her situation is not yours. Shame on you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Jan. 14, 2010