What can I do to get my 7 month old to sleep through the night?

it was fine becasue I wasnt working but I am going to start working soon and I need sleep.

ALMmomASM

Asked by ALMmomASM at 10:24 AM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son is 7 months...he wont fall asleep before 10:30 at night...and he sleeps through the night...if he falls asleep any earlier than that though...he wakes up an hour or two later and is up all night til like 5am. But if he goes to sleep later he sleeps through the night....I guess, just try to keep your baby awake more during the day...get into a routine..like a bath before bedtime...also it's okay to let them cry it out a little too...to let them put themselves to sleep. Give him a bath and a bottle before bedtime...and when hes a little sleepy...lay him in his crib and walk away. He'll go to sleep on his own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Sorry, the only real answer is time. Most babies don't sleep through the night (defined as six solid hours). My daughter was eight months old the first time she slept six solid hours; fourteen months when she started sleeping through the night on a regular basis. I was back at the office full time when she was eight weeks old. Cosleeping saved me from dying from sleep deprivation; I was able to doze/sleep while my baby nursed during the night.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:36 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Make shure he dosn't nap too long in the day.
    Feed him good filling foods before bed.
    When it gets near bed time turn most of the lights off in your house.
    Give him a bath with 'johnsons bedtime bath wash' and lotion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• my son is 6 1/2 years and still doesnt....
    good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 11:07 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I believe that most babies are capable of sleeping through the night by the time they are 7 months old. All 4 of mine did and so did most of the babies I know. At 7 months it may take a few nights of crying. I wouldn't recommend just letting them CIO, but you could let them fuss for 5-10 minutes and then go back in, soothe them by rubbing their back or singing, then leave them for another 5-10 minutes, repeat. It's a process and it will take a few nights, but then you will be done and they will be able to soothe themselves and the crying should lessen over those few nights.

Answer by missanc at 11:12 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I used to feed my oldest that gerber rice or oatmeal cereal stuff. Feed 'em something that "sticks to their ribs", lol. It helped some... I don't remember if he slept through the night or not. That was so long ago, lol! :)
    hisemma

Answer by hisemma at 11:21 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• It's normal for children to wake at night until they are 3. Their brains are hardwired to breastfeed at night and sleep with their mother. If they weren't with their mother they could be in danger. Still in most places babies sleep with their mother and breastfeed at night. You are trying to get your baby to do something that goes against biology.

You may not be able to get your baby to sleep through the night. All three of my children didn't sleep through the night until they were around 3.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:08 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Best thing I found...pay attention to when your baby sleeps and wakes. You may be putting baby down too early OR too late.

You can TRY solids...I found that they led to more waking.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:11 PM on Jan. 14, 2010