My 15yr.old just ask me about putting her on birth control.

She said she's not wanting to have sex now, she just wants the birth control just in case. Any suggestions!!!

easygoing144

Asked by easygoing144 at 10:41 AM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• explain to her the consequences of sex & that birth control is not 100% and definitely much less than the normal when left in the hands of a child to handle taking it regularly.

yes, teen sex should not happen. But they are going to do it any way. Nothing a parent does will stop their child from having sex if they want to.

I personally would get her on the pill. better safe than sorry. Wouldn't want to be a grandma myself just because I thought denying BC would mean she wouldn't have sex.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• obviously have "the talk" but be proud she is coming to you AND wanting to protect herself...that's great! Really though you can not blame the kids now with starting so young (even though we disapprove) its how the world is making them. all you can do is prepare her for the scary parts and make her smart for it all. GL
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 10:45 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Well that's a good thing that you have a relationship where she can come to you... Birth control is not the answer tho, it does not protect against STD's and she needs to understand that one alone is not protective enough. Condoms should always be used to help protect her.... Time to have a long talk as to why she thinks she needs it, the other risks associated with BC and the need for condoms. If she is gonna be active she does need protection. Having a baby is not the end of the world but it can be prevented. I say go for it. It is not easy and even tho she is put on BC you can still talk to her about waiting, the whole reputation thing and not having sex is a good thing. You can also tell her what boys will say to get in her pants.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:48 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Get her on birth control and talk to her about everything .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• that is a good thing you have the relationship that she came to you and asked you about it. I would talk to her about everything and the consiquences, but I would also still put her on the pill and tell her that even though she is on the pill she should still use a condum as well
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:56 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I would put her on the pill don't allow her to have the shot because it will cause her problems in the future. That's awsome that she came to you! You should be very proud of that! But do tell her that the pill is not 100% and if she does decieds to have sex to use extra protection. I know how i was when i was that age 9years ago if you stay calm and talk to her like your comfortable then she'll be very smart about it and she won't want to let you down. Just treat her like a little adult and let her know how happy you are that she came to you it will mean alot to her. Good luck!
    sweetmissa47

Answer by sweetmissa47 at 10:58 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Your little girl is growing up. Put her on it. I know I would. I had a baby at 17 and a pregnancy scare at 16. My family was furious, but they also refused to put me on BC. Better to do it now than before it's too late. Have the sex talk. Make sure what she "knows" is what's really true. Talk about STDs and condoms. Tell her about what her reputation will look like to other girls AND boys. Give her condoms. Talk to her often. Know her boyfriends. Know their parents. Be informed. Very informed. If she doesn't have a cell phone, get her one. Make sure it has a tracker on it so if you think she might be lying, you can check up. All these things might sound over the top, but its cheaper than a baby, and it could possibly save her life. Good luck!
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 11:00 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Yes' be proud shes going to you. Shes being prepared insted of being unprepared.
    But; its been proven that sitting your children down to have 'the talk' isnt so affective. It is vary aquard, and makes them feel uncomftorable. You dont want to push her away. Insted, just do it casualy. While your doing something with her, bring up the topic. ''Since you were asking for birth control'' -''What do you think about sex?'' .. ask her 'what do you think'' questions, it gets them to think and answer more openly as though it were any type of question.
    Also, bring up the fact that she should also use a condom for the 'just in case' time to protect agenst deseases.
    -Hope this helps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• wow.. id feel blessed she talked to you about it..get them and take her to the gyno and get her used to that and tell her about s.t.d.s and make sure yall have an understanding that it isnt 100% so other protection needs to be taken....oh and make sure she knows that any boy will say he loves her just to get in the pants....hate to say that but its true and every girl should be taught that...i wish i would had. i had to learn the hard way..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Condom is safe way to do it. if she is on pills , they wouln't use condom. you don't want her to get stds.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Jan. 14, 2010