how far apart and how long should contractions be before you go to the hospital?

how long should contractions last before you go to the hospital. and how many min. apart.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think when they are 10 minutes apart, but I could be wrong I was already in the hospital for both of mine I was induced with both so I am not sure
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:57 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I would call and ask the hospital but I had to be atleast five minutes.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 10:59 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Your doctor or midwife should tell you when they want you to go. It also depends on how far away you live and the weather.

Some women that don't want interventions like IVs, monitors, and epidurals want to get there as late as possible so the hospital doesn't have a chance to do anything to them. Other women want to get there as soon as they start feeling pain to get that epidural they were promised.

There is no one set rule.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:01 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Our Labor & Delivery said when they last a minute then go but call your Labor & Delivery dept and ask

Answer by admckenzie at 11:08 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• mine were 5 min apart
    mellyhayes

Answer by mellyhayes at 11:13 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Most doctors/midwives recommend the 411 rule: 4 minutes apart lasting 1 minute for 1 hour. My personal rule is when I can no longer talk through the contractions because they are so painful and intense. I was far more comfortable at home than at the hospital so I would recommend staying home for as long as possible.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 11:21 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• My dr told me to come to the hospital when my contractions were 5 minutes apart. By the time I got there I was 8 cm dilated, too late for an epidural. That was my first - I went much earlier with my 2nd!

Answer by missanc at 11:30 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• if my hospital was nearby, i would wait until they were like 3 minutes apart for an hour, or i just felt like i was heading into transition. BUT my hospital is about 80 minutes away so i will probably go when my contrax are like 5 minutes apart for half an hour. lol. i have a feeling i'll be driving there and then deciding it was just early labor about 10 times come june!!! good luck to you!!!! =)
    Anonymous

• It depends on what you want for your birth, honestly. Personally, I didn't want the hospital to have enough time to intervene in my birth, so I waited until contractions were less than 2 minutes apart. If you're shooting for a natural birth, waiting as long as possible to go is the best idea.

If you're planning on going as soon as you can, and you aren't worried about being stuck in the bed or are planning on getting an epidural asap, then the general rule is about 4 minutes apart.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 1:04 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Your dr should have given you guidelines about that. It depends on how far away your hospital is and whether this is your first baby or not.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 1:58 PM on Jan. 14, 2010