Pumping at work

I work 3 days a week (2nd shift) and I only get a chance to pump 2x while working. I have only been getting 3 oz for each session, no matter what I do - and I know there's more in there. My 6 month old son takes 5-6 oz bottles (2 while I'm away), so I'm working to get those extra 4 oz at other times. I'm worried he's only getting the foremilk and not getting the rich hindmilk from the bottles (he would drink a 10 oz bottle if we let him! but he does seem satisfied after his bottles) I EBF every day I'm not working, so obviously he's satisfied with what my body is making ... why can't I get more out? Any tips or encouragement - I'm trying so hard to give him the best!

TarraJoy

Asked by TarraJoy at 10:58 AM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no pump is ever as good as a baby for getting milk out, 3 oz is completely normal for an output.

What type of pump are you using?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:00 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Medela PIS advanced
    TarraJoy

Answer by TarraJoy at 11:00 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• When I had to pump at work, it was like you, not as much as normal. Then one day my pump broke! I had to hand express the milk. OMG I got like twice as much out! I have hand expressed ever since, didn't waste money on a new pump when baby #2 came along.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Drink a lot of liquids at work,too. Water,if possible. There is always water. If you don't have enough fluid , you won't make as much milk as you could.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 11:07 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• hand express! your hand will mimic his mouth more than any pump you can buy. You will get more out
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Have you tried bringing pics of your baby with you when you pump? That might help you let down better. I'm reading a great book called "Nursing Your Baby" by Karen Pryor. She has some tips in there about pumping at work. Maybe pump some on your off days too just to make sure you have plenty at home?
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:09 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• The Medela Pump in Style is the best to mimic baby and get the most. I agree with bringing a picture of baby and possibly a onesie or something that smells like him too!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:11 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Hand expression can be better than pumps. There is a massage that you can use when hand expressing or pumping that can increase the amount you get. For instructions go to google and type in Marmet technique.

Getting 3 ounces from each breast isn't bad. Pumping both breasts at the same time helps you get more.

Since your baby is over 6 months he can start solids while you are away. Some good first solids are banana, sweet potato, or avocado. Just mash and put in front of the baby and he should feed himself. That way he won't need so much milk while you are gone. If he nurses during the night that makes up for nursings that he misses during the day. If he nurses a lot at night he soon (a month or two) may not need bottles of expressed milk at all.

www.kellymom.com is a good breastfeeding website and has info on starting solids, pumping, and working.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:12 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Gailll, I don't get 3oz from each breast ... I'm only getting 3oz total - I'd be happy to get 3 from each=) ! To the moms out there that are recommending hand expression, how long does that take to empty both breasts? I'll have to research how to do that and give it a try at home, but I don't think that I'd have enough time to do that at work.
    TarraJoy

Answer by TarraJoy at 11:29 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Here is what worked for me (I pumped at work for more than a year and a half):

Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump

Answer by rkoloms at 1:07 PM on Jan. 14, 2010