Do you think men can have post-partum depression?

I was just reading about an NYU professor whose wife just had twins and who jumped out of his window to his death after an argument w/ her. Do you think men can have PPD? That's what it seems like.

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2010/01/nyu_professor_leaps_to_death.html#comments

danielp

Asked by danielp at 11:21 AM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• no. i think they can be super stressed though. you know how men are- they need their space and having twins was probably way too much for this man to handle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I think they can have their own form of PPD. They are going through a large change as well and have a lot going on in their lives just as women do. They aren't and shouldn't be thought os as being exempt of having the same problems and issues we new moms face (to a certain extent obviously... I don't think they have to worry about sore nipples from breast feeding! lol). You have to remember... this is a new responsibility for them and a new venture. Mnay men feel that they are now the over-all protector of many people now and no longer just themselves. They now have a family to support (and I have met many men - including my boyfirend- who think of themselves as the supporter for the family even if us women ork as well... heck, I make more money than my boyfriend and he still has this feeling!) and have many new worries.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 11:30 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Men can get the baby blues. It can get stressful for them just like for us. Here is a link that explains it.

http://www.babycenter.com/404_can-men-get-the-baby-blues_3870.bc
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Yes. Men still go through many changes that can cause severe depression when a child is born. The woman is so focused on her pregnancy and then the baby she may not notice it. I know I didn't with my husband. Wished I had he might still be alive. My husband never had depression until after the birth of our triplet sons. In reading his journals he was very stressed about shouldering the entire burden of supporting us all. He never let me see this and kept it all to himself. Men are expected to be strong and not show weakness in our world. Our sons were 1 year old when he shot himself in his car. He drove to the desert he had checked the life insurance policy three weeks earlier and made sure we would be taken care of. The insurance agent told me that when he contacted me about this policy. His rationale was with this money we would be fine. Not rational but what depressed person is. Men suffer too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Yes. His hormones can change right along with ours. He's also going though a huge change of having kids, being responsible, sleep deprived, etc.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:43 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I think my husband ended up with a bit of PTSD due to the birth (I had it BAD) and we argued a lot the first year.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:44 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I think men get pissed because it's not all about them anymore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

your clueless and heartless
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Yes. But it's slightly different for them. Men are more concerned about how they are going to provide for this new child, this family, seeing his wife exhausted and feeling helpless and unable to help her, and also feeling a bit left out and perhaps jealous.

I have to say though, anyone disturbed enough to jump out a window shortly after his wife had babies probably had some pre-existing issues going on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Yes, I think men can have their own form of it.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:24 PM on Jan. 14, 2010