Food is so expensive...

We make okay money but food has gone up here I was spending $160 every two weeks for groceries for 2 adults and 3 kids and this was just last year...Now we're looking more towards $200 it's ridiculous how much stores want for food when it's such a neccesity and everyone has to buy food you think the stores would be wealthy even if they didn't charge an arm and a leg for food..what are your views on this?

chica679

Asked by chica679 at 11:30 AM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• cut coupons, print coupons and shop with the ads. I spend about $200 a month for my family of 3
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:32 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I also spend close to that much for my family of 5. It's crazy because I have 3 boys, the oldest is 9 but I can already see that they are going to be the kind of boys who really like to eat! So I kind of worry about the future and if I can afford to buy groceries. I haven't used coupons yet but I plan to. I use the store ads to look for sales and we buy almost no snacks. The only snacks my kids get are fruit and cheese sticks. Once in a great while we will buy ice cream but that is it. We don't buy chips or junk food, no juice. All they drink is milk and water. They might get some candy at the register but that is treated like a special occasion with us!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Start making from scratch. I eat organic and spend maybe 150 a month for me and my daughter.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:45 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I spend 100 a week. We eat healthy and nutritious meals with that budget. I do think if you eat large portions of meat, a lot of prepackaged and processed foods it could be very expensive. For me it has not been too bad. We don't drink milk, juice or soda all are unecessary and bad for a person in their own way. Get out in the sun for a bit you will have all the Vitamin D you need. Eat fruit don't drink the juice not as good for you and is one of the causes for childhood obesity. We have filtered water we drink sometimes we have green tea. We eat small 3-4 ounce portions of lean meats 3 -4 meals a week the rest are vegetarian and the protein is a legume. We have 2-3 different vegetable some fresh some frozen depends on the season. We have a whole grain of some kind as well. We don't feel hungry an hour later and don't snack much cheaper if you don't buy crap.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• There are better ways to shop. While I shop weekly, I don't buy all my food for the week during that shopping trip. I watch the ads and stock up on items while they are on sale.

Every few weeks, Barilla pasta is on sale 10 for $10. I stock up. I think the Barilla pasta tastes better than WalMart brand.
    I buy beef, pork and chicken on sale, large quantities and freeze it.
    I cook from scratch.
    I bake our own bread, cookies, muffins, etc. Huge savings and much healthier. I buy a 20lb bag of flour, it's cheaper than the 5lb bag.

Ok, milk and fresh fruit I have to purchase weekly. Milk is often on sale here. I've been getting name brand milk for $1.98 a gallon.

I buy apples at the local orchard. A bit more expensive than the store, but the apples are nicer, more varieties to choose from, they taste better and I'm supporting a local business.

I sometimes have to suck it up with other fruits and pay the price.
    Anonymous

• Cut out a lot of meat options, and if you have a cash and carry (bag your own groceries) store in your area, take advantage of it. I save about $60-$80 a month this way. Realize that different geographic locations are different in price -- I pay $450 a month for a family of 5, and that's us eating cheaply!!
    elleinad

Answer by elleinad at 11:56 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Coupons, only buy things with a coupon when it's on sale, and buy enough to last 3 months. We spend about $50/wk and that includes all the non-food stuff, too. Learn when your store puts meat and produce on markdown (usually the day before the new sale flier) and buy it when it's reduced, freeze it until you need it. Stay out of WalMart, it's not really cheaper it just looks cheaper and they won't price match on the things they really jack the prices up on, if you even bother to try (meat, dairy, produce). If you have an Aldi, use it. Quit buying convenience foods, too - anything frozen, boxed or canned that has more than 2 ingredients is costing you more per ounce than if you buy the ingredients separately and make it from scratch (not to mention you're eating pounds of salt you don't need).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:09 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• What you are saying you spend is not THAT much. It is a bit more than we spend, but really isn't bad. But I use coupons and buy things on sale. I use ads to shop too. I have a great site for coupons and shows all of the ads in your area ~~> Penny Pincher Gazette <~~

RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:22 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I do everything I can do to save food dollars. In light of the recent freezing in FL, I just said to my DH I have this crazy urge to go buy a dozen gallons of OJ before the price goes through the roof. I plant a garden every year. I buy what I don't grow from local farmers, sooo much cheaper than the store. I freeze and can everything I grow. I bake my own bread, I buy things like rice etc in bulk when I can. We all have to eat, but I don't think we should have to go to the poor house to do so. Get your kids involved in gardening, it is so much fun and a great learning experience. Clip coupons and watch for sales. In hard times like these I tend to hoard food such as canned goods. You just never know with this economy.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:29 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I have noticed since 09 turned into 10 that grocery prices have gone up alot. It sucks but we need food.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 12:37 PM on Jan. 14, 2010