The worst sound in the world is a coughing 19 month old...

My son has the worst cough and I don't know how to help him. He has a small fever. He is eating and drinking fine, so I don't know how concerned I should be. Today is day two of his cough, and he does seem to be coughing more today. I hate to take him to the doctor if it's unnecessaery, but would also hate to overlook something that could be serious. He's never had a cough like this before.
I checked online about the croup, it said it would be worse at night...and that's not the case. He slept okay last night, besides waking up early. Any advise would be helpful.
Thanks a lot.

Julians_Momma

Asked by Julians_Momma at 11:38 AM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think as long as he is still drinking and eating I would not take him in yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Try taking him in the bathroom and run a hot shower so that the steam helps him to breath easier. Is he having a hard time breating? He may have RSV, so make sure you can't see his ribs when he is breathing. It also might just be a common cold. Just watch him and make sure his fever doesn't go up.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 12:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• If it were croup you would know it because it bears no resemblance to any other cough you've heard before. I would put a call in to your doctor... there may be a nurse or doctor who can tell you what is cause for more concern and what you just need to wait out. A slight fever and cough can be no more than a common cold.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:48 PM on Jan. 14, 2010