questions on feeding your toddler?

Just wondering when your child
- Held his own fork or spoon?
-took bites of things rather than you having to cut up little bites?

And i thought i had another question but ofcourse now i can't think of it.

kelka24

Asked by kelka24 at 11:46 AM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I spoon fed until around 10 months, then had him learning. I still cut up things that needed it. He had all his teeth really early and understood taking bites and chewing. He could hold and eat a kids burger at 9.5 months. So, by one, he refused to hold/touch his birthday cake...he asked for his spoon. LOL He ate it all with the spoon. Sometimes he used a fork, but, we had a ton of real, yet, little bitty forks/spoons.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:50 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• my daughter will be 18 months next week. she started trying to use utensils around 14 months. she uses a fork and spoon now, but she really just started to get very good at it, and can practically feed herself. she was able to take bites off of soft foods (like a banana, cereal bar, cookie, etc.) i'd say by 13 months. i still cut some things up for her, just bc i dont want her to choke and it is easier for her to manage. good luck.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 11:51 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• My son is 14 months and can take bites of food, but still doesn't have the concept of using a spoon. We're working on that now that he has taking bites down
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 11:52 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• My son is almost 3 and I still cut things up. He will eat bananas by himself, and some other tings... but mostly I still cut things up for him.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:11 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• 14-15 months for using a spoon. She is now 16 months and takes reasonable sized bites of bananas or muffins or toast, but she does better and is more likely to eat more of something if I cut it up. When it's something she could choke on with too big a bite, I definitely cut it up.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:31 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• my dd was 10 mos when she learned to use a spoon... about a year when she learned to use a fork. 13 mos when she started taking bites off stuff... she got an apple from the fridge and just started chowing down! Imagine turning around to a baby suddenly eating a while apple!!! Since then she can get anything down!!! She hasn't figured soup out but can easily scoop anything a little more solid. At 4 mos we started solids and at 5 she wouldn't let me use the spoon, she had to do it herself so she stared really early.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:34 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• My son is 14 months and started taking bites of food around 13 months, but I still don't give him a whole sandwich - I'll give him like 1/4 and let him finish that first, then give him the next 1/4. We're working on the spoon/fork. He understand the concept just doesn't have the motor skills to do it yet.

Answer by missanc at 2:13 PM on Jan. 14, 2010