Is it night terrors, nightmares or just plain ol crankiness?!

Both my 4 year old and my 2 (almost 3) year old sometimes have trouble staying asleep. Last night for instance, my 4 yo fell asleep on the couch. About an hour later, he woke up crying. Actually, I'm not sure if he was fully awake because his eyes were closed. I tried to comfort him and he kept getting mad, saying no and not letting me pick him up. So I sat by him and tried patting his back but he kept getting mad and kicking me. He was screaming, not just crying but screaming! It gets so frustrating when I can 't console him. Eventually he tires himself out and goes back to sleep but I wish I could make it better. This happens with my 2 y.o too. Anyone else deal with this? They don't act like this during the day, they are very pleasant children.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Jan. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• Crying but not fully waking up or wanting to be touched or comforted sounds like NT to me. I've been reading up on it because my daughter's waking upset in the night every night (I don't think hers are night terrors, though). When there are any sleep issues, though, the best place to start is with consistency and making sure your kids go to sleep with a predictable routine in their beds. (Obviously the falling asleep on the couch kind of thing can happen, so that wasn't meant as a bash).
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:26 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Around 18 mos my LO was doing this. He would wake up and scream for me and I would try to hold him and he'd scream "No! I want mommy" the ped said it was night terrors. He was so scared and there was nothing I could do. It sounds like what your two are going through.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:57 PM on Jan. 14, 2010