2 year old & bottle in the middle of the night

i have tried diluting her whole milk bottle with water until it's just water...she screams and cries because she knows exactly what i'm doing...i have tried replacing her bottle with a sippy cup of water and her teddy bear...she screams and cries...last night we tried going cold turkey and she screamed and banged on her door for 3 hours. my husband and i are so tired. i am 6 months pregnant and would really like to nick this midnight bottle in the butt before the new baby arrives.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would keep up the cold turkey, I know it is hard but you started the battle and now you have to finish it or she will think she won
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Then that is exactly what you are going to have to do. Have her help you throw then out, in the middle of the day, and tell her, only babies use bottles, big girls use cups. And let her pick out a brand new special cup for this occasion. Then right before bed, remind her, "Okay, now if you wake up, you can't have a bottle, but I'll bring you water in your extra special big-girl cup, okay?" Then when she, inevitably wakes, bring her water, snuggle and give kisses, but don't bring up the bottle, even if she asks for it, say, "here's you water, like I told you I'd bring for you." If she's upset it's understandable, it's going to be hard for a bit, but she will get used to it, i promise. Just give her a bit more snuggle time and then leave quietly when she's calmed a little. Good luck.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 11:56 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Yep, cold turkey is the way to go. That is the only thing that will break her 100%. She doesn't NEED a bottle of anything at that age. 2 is a bit too old for a bottle. I have written a journal about our little ones and sleeping - have a look ~~>> JOURNAL <<~~

RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:09 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• the bottles need to go, either have her help you throw them out or just have them disappear. if there are no bottles in the cabinet she cant possibly have one
    cakright

Answer by cakright at 12:26 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Keep it up. Comfort her however you can, let her cry if she has to, but try to be there for her as much as she lets you. It won't last forever.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:28 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I agree, stand firm on this one. Get rid of the bottles so she knows they are gone, remind her before bed what will happen when she wakes up- that you will bring her a sippy of water- and then follow through. Maybe once you get this taken care of you will just be able to leave the sippy of water by her bed and she can wake in the night and reach for it herself. In the meantime, hopefully tonight will be less than three hours and get better every night. It might go faster than you think once she realizes the bottles are gone and the sippy of water is her only option. Good luck- I hope you get some rest soon.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:39 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• cold turkey on the bottle and the drink part. there is no reason why a 2 yr old needs to be drinking anything in the middle of the night. if you keep this up, potty training will be even harder for you so think of the future, not just tonight's sleep. I know it will be super hard, but you have to stick to it even if she cries all night long, she will get the point.
    suej27

Answer by suej27 at 5:56 PM on Jan. 14, 2010