Potty-Training: Toddler (1) Mommy (0)

My almost 2 & 1/2 year old daughter has ZERO interest in potty-training. She knows all about it - the potty, the underwear, the holding-it process, the toilet paper...everything! But she refuses to learn how to use it. She will tell me when she's pee'd or pooped, and I can put her in underwear for a few hours without her messing in them. But when it comes time to actually "go" to the bathroom, she will not use the potty. She asks for her diaper!

What do I do here? Do I refuse to let her use a diaper and let her mess on herself? How do I get her to actually use the potty now that she's learned all about it? I don't want to force her into doing something I don't think she's ready for, but obviously she's as close to being ready as she needs to be! HELP!!!!!!!!!!

mommaruth07

Asked by mommaruth07 at 11:51 AM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The way you phrased your question is cute, but your solution may in fact lie within that... it looks like potty training is, in your view or your child's (or both), perceived as a battle. Kids tend to win these, even though they'll concede minor victories. Here's what I'd suggest: take away the diapers. Be supportive and encouraging, but try not to make a big deal about potty training. As you said, she knows how it works. If she's in a diaper, she has no real reason not to use it. So remind her that she's expected to go in the potty from now on... and don't go back. When she has an accident, remind her gently that pee goes in the potty and move her there. Give her a little reward if you get her there in time for some pee to land in the toilet. You'll have to clean up some accidents in the beginning, but as long as you're consistent and take the battle out of it (no more making her sit there waiting), she'll get it.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:07 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• You can start to put the potty in the common area and leave her bottom less... then she has no excuse - either go on the potty or make a mess. Yes, you will get a couple messes at first - but she will get the idea. Also, after she gets THAT hint... you can start putting panties on her or just pants - and if she wets herself, let her sit in it for a few minutes. She will understand that it is not a diaper and the feeling is yukky.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:04 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• my youngest son was the same way, i read an article that helped me. It said to have them be naked...only at home of course. he peed on the couch once and the kitchen floor once and then that was it, took 2 days to train this way.
    cakright

Answer by cakright at 12:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I just read the previous posts that weren't there when I started writing mine... what we did was similar, but not bare-bottomed. We did underwear, but no pants. That way you can see when they start to have the accident, but it avoids the risk that they'll be fully trained bottomless but you'll have to start all over with pants on. This doesn't happen to all kids trained bottomless, obviously, but it happens enough that I think it's worth having something you have to pull down from the start.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:09 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Yes refuse the diaper!!!!! YOU are in charge not her, she is refusing to use the potty because you let her.
    Anonymous

• oh my little one did this too. she knew the concept just was lazy about it. So i bought the fancy charcter underwear with the warning, dont pee on Dora, Tinker bell, Princess.... and we kept jelly beans in a jar when she went with NO ACCIDENT we got to choose the jelly bean. (green was the fav) and letting her sit in the wet pants really upset her so we started going. and I LOOOOOVE no diapers :) now i dont even want to watch my neice cuz she has diapers. No more poopy messes here :)
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 3:44 PM on Jan. 14, 2010