My 4 year old nephew has been doing very strange things lately.

He put bathroom calk in his 2 year old sisters hair and then tried to wash it out with nair. He has been pulling his pants down a urinating on the furniture. We sent him to his fathers house (His parents are divorced) and he started acting up there. Nothing seems to be working, can anyone offer up advise? He has an older brother who is 9 and he is a truly good kid and the 2 year old is very good also. We have tried to put him in time out take things away from him and have run out of ideas. We know he is the middle child but we try to go out of our way to include him in everything so he doesn't feel left out. Please Help!!

Ralphiesmom922

Asked by Ralphiesmom922 at 11:52 AM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would suggest counseling. How long have his parents been divorced? Are they on the same page as far as rules and discipline?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:53 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Why did he have access to caulk and Nair? Why isn't he supervised? It sounds like the parent is not providing supervision or discipline.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I agree with anon, he shouldnt have access to those things in the first place. Sounds like he needs more attention than he is getting, try doing some things with JUST him
    cakright

Answer by cakright at 11:59 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Have things been happening at just on parents house or at both? This child obviously isn't getting attention, heck he's not even being supervised... he had time to put bathroom caulking in his sisters hair and then had time to try and wash it out with nair(which is a strong chemical I might add, that no 2 or 4 yr old should have access to.) He needs some strong discipline, supervision and a little good attention wouldn't hurt.
    Anonymous

• I agree that he is lacking supervision. I don't agree that he should be punished. The parents need to learn effective parenting skills. Sometimes there are classes for divorced parents. A child should never be sent to the other parent's house because the parent wants to get rid of them, they are bad, they can't be controlled, ect.

Love & Limits by Elizabeth Crary is a good first book. How to Talk So Kids Will Listen is another good one.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:42 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• wow, i'm glad he didn't hurt the 2yo with the nair or the cauking gun. i agree with the moms that say he is not properly supervised. i have a 4yo son, a son who will be 2 next month and a 3 month old baby. i'm home alone the majority of the time. when kids are not supervised well they act up or do dangerous stuff. what is the situation? are you guys relying on the 9 yo to babysit or something? bc i can't even believe that all that went down with an adult watching them
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:40 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• His mom is currently going to college and is gone during most of the day. The father has very few visits with the child. He doesn't show up most of the time and the rest of the time he brings them home early. The kids live with the mother and her grandparents who are also raising their other 2 year old grand child. The grandfather is in dire health problems and so the kids are left to themselves a lot. I try to do as much with them as I can. I take them on nature hikes and to the beach one at a time. but lately the 4yo is not wanting to go and so I haven't been making him. Maybe I need to do more, I don't know. He has always been a little moody but with in the last few months it has gotten really bad. I worry about him a lot.
    Ralphiesmom922

Answer by Ralphiesmom922 at 3:38 PM on Jan. 25, 2010