What time does your kids do homework and what is the set up? Lg. families mainly but small is welcome-

Just curious, I am having a difficult time with getting all there work done.

Remembering to sign everything and all that good stuff.

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 11:53 AM on Jan. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• After school they grab a snack and then do homework. I like for them to do it right away and get it over with so the rest of the evening is free.
    cakright

Answer by cakright at 11:56 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• We do the same as cakright. No TV, Wii, anything until it's finished. They all sit at the same table so if they need help I can be there for all 3 of them.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:58 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Mine do homework when they get home(at the kitchen table). All folders and planners go on my desk and I go thru them while they do work. I sign whatever needs signing......etc.
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 12:00 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• When my kids get home from school I let them have a snack, and then it is homework time-- if they have homework. I also look thru the school papers, sign assignment notebooks, read the thursday envelopes (school communications) at that time. Then when they are done with homework everything goes right back in the backpack so it is ready for the morning.
    One tip that worked for my oldest-- (he is Autistic and had a hard time with homework) is we would look over his homework together, and see what needed to be done. Then he would pick one subject, do that and then take a break (10-15 min) and then come back and tackle the next batch of homework. Breaking it down into 'chunks' helped him, and did not seem so big and overwhelming. I also have a 'homework bin' - a bin set up with school supplies that the kids might need- dictionary, pencils, erasers and such. It is kept in the closet, and brought out only at homework time.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:01 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• My kids grab a snack and then sit at the kitchen table to do homework. We have an open floor plan so I can watch my youngest playing in the living room while I sit at the table with the older ones. We have a hutch next to our kitchen table that's supposed to be for dishes, and I keep dishes in the top part but the lower part has become school supply central with extra paper, folders, notebooks, pencils, pens, etc so we have everything handy while we are working.

Answer by missanc at 12:05 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• kitchen table soon as we get home as i cook.
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 12:07 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• My 3 get home, change (they wear uniforms) and then get to their homework. Sometimes they are allowed a snack before they start or eat while they are doing it. There is supposed to be no TV or anything until they are all done (well, a lot of times they go upstairs to watch with my dad when they are done if someone is still doing homework in the dining room).
    They really don't need my interaction much. They come to me if they don't understand something or need help. I have to explain my 1st grader's homework to her and help her read it all and that takes about 10-15 minutes. My 2nd grader and 4th grader don't really need any help and there is nothing for me to sign.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:13 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• My high schoolers do it wherever and whenever they want...they don't need me for it. When they were little homework was done after dinner, we eat pretty early and it gave them time to unwind. My 8 year old on the other hand usually does his homework in the morning before school, this works best for him, otherwise it is a major battle...he HATES school and this is new for me cause he is the only one of my kids who does and that has required me to be a little more creative.

Agenda's and papers are handed to me right after school, when everyone is in bed I go threw everything, sign what needs to be signed and hand it back in the morning.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 12:46 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• After school, it's a snack and then homework. The tv stays off until it is done. It gets done at the kitchen table.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:26 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I have 7 school aged children. They get home from school and put their back packs in the office. They have a healthy snack and a glass of water then we go to the large table in the office and they pull out everything from their back packs. I oversee them doing their homework and sign at that time anything I need to sign and when finished they put everything they need back in their backpack and put their backpack on their hook in the mud room.
    Anonymous