My son went from hardly eating to eating so much

my son is 18 months old weighs approx 19-20 lbs and is small for his age. he went from hardly eating to the other day just eating 24/7. I cant even count how much he ate yesterday. part of it is good because he is so small so i dont want to not give him food. but lately he has been waking up screaming and wont sleep through the night. I am wondering if its just a growth spurt or what.But i also dont want anything to be seriously wrong.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i dont think you have anything to worry about, it sounds like a growth spurt to me, my DD is 26 months and only weighs 23 pounds so I know about small babies. I say if he is hungry feed him, he knows what his body can handle. this will pass
    Anonymous

• I think its a growth spurt. My son went through it . My baby (hes 2) sometimes wakes up crying. It happens at least once a month. I dont know why.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:02 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Sounds like a growth spurt to me. But you can definitely mention it to your doc. Have you had your 18 month appt yet? The waking could also be due to a growth spurt, or could be unrelated... it's time for a pretty major bout of separation anxieties, and imagination is blossoming and dreams are becoming more vivid... Hand in there. I wouldn't worry about the eating... feed him when he's hungry, he should be able to make it through the night without food though...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:02 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I wouldn't worry - It sounds like possibly a growth spurt. My almost 3 year old goes through this.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:02 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Oooh year, growth spurt. My twins are comin up on 18 months and they go through fits and starts for eating. I just feed them however much they want and don't stress either way.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 12:20 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• It's a good thing. He may be hungry in the night. It's common for toddlers that are breastfeeding for them to breastfeed during the night. Try to give him good things to eat. If you go to google and type in superfoods you will find lots of websites with lists of food. It would be great if he learned to like these foods while he is young.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:37 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Growth spurt!!

Answer by rkoloms at 12:59 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• sounds like a growth spurt. Be happy he's eating again! if he's hungry feed him
    Texan1993

Answer by Texan1993 at 5:57 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• --original poster---

great thanks everyone for the feedback. Ya i figured it was just a growth spurt. he usually likes to eat anyways but lately just so much more. I do feed him as much as he wants because he is small and he does eat tons of variety of foods like salmon, chicken, asparagus, and so much more. He just loves food. I hope he gets some weight put on him from this growth spurt. Thanks all.
    Anonymous