When you give something, do you expect something in return?

I spend most of my time in the political section, however with the most recent questions about Haiti I've decided to ask this in just for fun. Quite a few women have expressed that they don't think we should Haiti because if we were in that situation no one would help us. It makes me wonder, when you help someone, donate money, or do something nice for someone else do you expect something in return?

mommy_lisa25

Asked by mommy_lisa25 at 12:31 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• That's a good question. My family has always volunteered and donated. I don't think we expected anything from those people to pay back but we did go by the Biblical philosophy that when we give God blesses us. I admit I do things in life to receive God's blessings.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:36 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Of course not. And, i do think other countries would help us if that happened here.
    cakright

Answer by cakright at 12:37 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• i would never expect a return. i have baught diapers and clothes for my sisters kids and would never expevt that she give back. and what do you mean noone would help us in that situation? we are america! i have never been watching the news after a huricane or tornado or earthquake hit somewhere in america and heard "these people are all dying, lets ignore it and let them die and starve" we are human beings and compasion is supposed to be a part of humanity. if you think for a second that we should not help these people who have just lost everything than i would say that you have a less than humane heart.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:38 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Nope. That's the idea - to give just because of compassion and it is the right thing to do. If we had the means, I would do anything I could to help the people in Haiti monetarily. Right now, they are in our prayers!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:39 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Not on a personal level, but when it's all give give give and it's never reciprocated, the giving stops.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:46 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Whoa cassie_m, it's not me that thinks we wouldn't receive help, it's others. I do think we'd receive help, we always have, in those types of situations. I personally think that we should be doing everything we can to help over there right now.
    mommy_lisa25

Answer by mommy_lisa25 at 12:57 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

What does a nation like Haiti have to give to us? Not only that but we haven't been giving and giving over there. There wasn't even an American Embassy there.

But just to get this straight, you say no you don't expect anything back, but then yes you do expect someone to reciprocate if it's not personal? That's a contradiction.
    mommy_lisa25

Answer by mommy_lisa25 at 12:58 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I like to help because I don't think any human being should suffer. I always think of myself and how good I have it and I want to give some of that to others. I don't need anything in return and don't expect it.
    Anonymous

• I give to give, not for something in return. Whom ever said no one else would help us is dead wrong. Many many people from foreign countries helped us during 911, how soon we forget.

salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:57 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• No I am not expecting something in return only bc when I do something nice for someone it is from my heart...:)
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:05 PM on Jan. 14, 2010