Help!! What is wrong??

My 10.5 month old has had RSV for about a week and couple days.. we went to the doctor Tuesday b/c I wanted to make sure it was just a cold after he seemed a bit worse to me.. The doc said it is RSV (after test) but he's handling it very well.. He's been acting fine just a stuffy nose/not too bad cough.. Well my son went down for his nap really grumpy 3 hours ago and he woke up an hour and a half ago and won't quit crying if I'm not nursing him. He doesn't feel hot.. He is never like this.. What do you think is wrong?? You think it's an ear infection or bad dream or what?? I'm trying to get through to the doctors office to ask if/when to bring him in.. but any ideas??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if your scared something may be wrong and you cant get to the doc, take him to an urgent care clinic.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:46 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• If he's fevered try bathe him to bring his temp down, n childrens advil. If that doesnt seem to help take him in it could be anything. Hope the lil man gets better momma!
    dracosmommy

Answer by dracosmommy at 12:46 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• he may be starting to feel better and is really hungry, id keep nursing him as long as he wants.....and, still go back to the doctor
    cakright

Answer by cakright at 12:47 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• It's great that you are nursing. Babies with RSV are usually less ill and are less likely to be hospitalized. It is a serious disease and your baby may be crying because he feels like crap. It's good he will nurse and stop crying. Nursing a lot will increase your supply and the extra milk is good for the baby.

He could have an ear infection. Pneumonia is a complication to watch for with RSV. Your doctor should have gave you and information sheet on RSV.

It can be very scary when your child has his first major illness. The first time my oldest son was sick was with asthma and he had to be hospitalized at a major children's hospital. It was horrible.

I hope your son gets better soon.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:51 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• OP)) lol soon as I start freaking out he sits up and says "momma booboo ma do do dadda" and "OoOoooooo" and is fine =p Good thing I didn't get hold of the dr. Must've been a bad dream... but it was really really unlike him to cry like this.

It wasn't his hungry cry cakright -- he says "boooooobaaaaa" when he's hungry / wants to nurse and makes this weird low cry if he's really really hungry.. It was more of an afraid/pain cry. Maybe I will take him to the doc again anyway just to make sure.. but I dunno.. lol.. this is good tho that he's acting normal again :)
    Anonymous

• I found this on the KidsHealth website - it says to call the doctor if your baby is unusually irritable
    I hope the doctor's office calls back soon

When to Call the Doctor
    Call the doctor if your child has any of these symptoms:

•high fever with ill appearance
    •thick nasal discharge
    •worsening cough or cough that produces yellow, green, or gray mucus
    •signs of dehydration
    In infants, besides the symptoms already mentioned, call the doctor if your baby is unusually irritable or inactive, or refuses to breastfeed or bottle-feed.

Seek immediate medical help if you feel your child is having difficulty breathing or is breathing very rapidly, is lethargic, or if his or her lips or fingernails appear blue
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:56 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• My daughter had the R S VIrus and before she was diagnosed with that she was tested for cf (negative) she was so sick that was when she was 3 months. She was hospitalized plus tested also for gastroreflux and also xrayed while still in the hospital for bronchi. and pneumonia (both negative for her). The R S Virus can take a very long time to get over - it's a lung infection babies can't blow own noses or ask for an ice pop for a sore throat or for medicine.

They're going to be miserable for this illness (RS) and other illnesses too. Sit in b-room with lukewarm to warm steam from the shower -don't leave him alone there. Be sure to keep up with meds and overlap a bit also. Saline nose spray (Ayr, NaSal, Little Noses) are all great brands that're gentle. Babies sometimes tug ears or wn't lay on infected ear. Don't lay her down it hurts the clear of congestion. She might have asthma later my daughter does.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 12:58 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• OP))TY Gaill.

Off to make him lunch.

I think I will make a doc appt. just to be safe.
    Anonymous