do long distance relationships work

beckyboo112

Asked by beckyboo112 at 12:43 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Relationships

• They can. I met my husband when we were both on vacation in New Zealand. He is American and was living in Southern California at the time and I was living in Sydney, Australia.

Fortunately I had the means to travel every 4-6 weeks and spend at least 10 days with him. I'm not sure how it would have worked if I couldn't come over to visit.

We were married 13 months after we met.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 12:47 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• When my husband and I met, I lived in Chicago and he lived in New Jersey. We were married (he moved here) within a year.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:50 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• They can if you two are both committed and dedicated to making it work. My husband was in Hawaii and I was in New Mexico. We had been friends before he had left. (he is a marine stationed there) We were friends nothing more but we decided to "date" while he was already over there. I know you cant physically date apart but we called and texted each other ever free moment we had. He came home in July for a family reunion and invited me along. we got engaged that weekend, then he left. He came home on a thursday in September and we got married that saturday. We have been married almost two years and we have a sweet baby boy together and couldnt be happier!
    LilMamaC08

Answer by LilMamaC08 at 12:52 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• They certainly can, but ultimately someone has to re-locate. 

I met my husband while I was on vacation in England (I lived in Canada).  After 10 months of snail mail and phone calls, I moved to England.  We were married 20 months later and will be celebrating our 22nd anniversary in July.  We moved back to Canada 10 years ago.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:07 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I think it's up to each person.If it's true on both sides oh yaeh it could work. It's not easy but if your truely inlove then anything is possible.I beleive the bond can grow stronger too.But I don't think a really long time apart is healthy, unless it HAS to be for millitary reasons ect. There's always that saying as well," let them go if they come back to you it was ment to be and if they don't well then you made the right desission.
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 2:15 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• It can but it is hard work and both parties have to be willing to do the work. I have been in some long distance relationships that did not work and one that untimately did work out.
    SuzanneL09

Answer by SuzanneL09 at 2:42 PM on Jan. 14, 2010