Thinking about starting a home daycare what should I know before commiting?

I moved to a new area to be with my boyfriend and I have had no luck in finding a job. I was thinking why not do daycare that way i could stay home with my six month old daughter and still make money. Plus, I love kids so why not. I need to know what I'm getting into before I decide.

samagou

Asked by samagou at 1:08 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

• i'd ask for the money up-front or at least not take them if they didn't pay last week. and go lower than the rates in your area even for SAHM's. check craigs list so you know how much and what your competition is.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 1:13 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• In most states if your caring for more than 3 children that are not your own, then you need permission. Also you should child proof your house. Getting a degree wouldn't hurt. I would also take classes to learn CPR and all that helpful stuff. There is lots of things. Make sure when you write out an application that you make it quite clear what you are responsible for and what you are not. Thats just some stuff, that I can think of off the top of my head.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 1:13 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I would reccomend becoming state licensed! When looking for my DD's IHDCP I would only interview those that were state licensed. It is not a guarantee however the state does monitor the providers and conducts in-home surprise visits. Also in Georgia they have a food program that provides funds for food for the children - even infant formula.

Child proofing, cleanliness, no pets in the home, are just a few things I slao looked for
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 1:19 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Make sure to have some sort of contract saying how much notice you need before they stop using you, how much you will charge if they are late picking the kids up-that sort of thing. TRUST me. I wish I had known that when I did it. The kids are one thing...the parents are the pains!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:23 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• The parents usually are the DIFFICULT ones. The kids are great, the parents can be very petty and picky and a pain in the butt. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• Other than the obvious, know the laws and such here are the true life things no one prepares you for.

Your time is no longer your own, not just during daycare hours but all the time. your phones will ring, parents with try to change schedules 5 minutes before hand with no warning. Parents tend to forget you have a family and life also.

prepay and flat rates are best, i have done hourly and i have billed parents every two weeks and i found that prepay and flat rates work better.

always have a signed contract even if you are not licensed use contracts. I had a mom skip out on payment when i first started.

make sure that from the start you keep track of every payment, some parents claim it on their taxes some dont, either way you need to claim it on yours. if your only watching one or two kids you can claim it under other income so that you dont get hit with a self empolyment tax.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:47 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• get ready for the germs! have rules in the contracts about when the child is sick. the rules at the preschool my husband teaches at are... they get sent home if they have a fever of 100 or more, have vomited, had three diarrheas, or feeling so bad they dont participate at all with the class. if they get sent home with a fever they cant come back until they are fever free for 24 hours. some parents will try to give the kids meds and send them sick to avoid calling in. the rules are not just for the comfort and healing the sick child needs but also to protect other children and yourself. this is the main reason i stopped watching kids in my home. good luck!

Anonymous