second baby how hard is it gonna be to handle?

my son is two and will be 3 in august. my second baby will be due in july so my son should be hitting 3 years old soon after. i just wanted to know what to expect and learn some advice and stories about the transition any help???

christinaMJ

Asked by christinaMJ at 1:17 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I spaced mine like you did. It was much easier with two and the spacing of ages was perfect. It will be fine. (until they hit puberty!)

Answer by admckenzie at 1:20 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• T had twin boys. You should be all right. You know hat it takes to take care of a new baby right? Just keep thinking positive. Your little boy will most likely be a great "Big Brother" and want to help you with the new baby. Give him some practice chores helping get things ready for the baby. Then he will be ready and willing (hopefully) to help you since he is the "Big Brother" and "Mommy's helper". Good luck.
    Anonymous

• mine are also spaced just the same, and seriously it is WAY WAY WAY easier the second time.

But once the youngest hits 18mo-2 yrs, UGH im always breaking up fights lol
    oscarandbaby

Answer by oscarandbaby at 1:27 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• ds will be 2 a 2 weeks after the new bundle gets here....we have been practicing how he is to be a good helper.. I even babysat for a friend who just had her 3rd and franklynn loved it, he loves having babies around, he tells me he is a elper...
    Make sure you tell yours everyday that you love him which you already do, but add in that he is going to be a big brother and big brothers love and help the new baby, talk watch tv shows with babies in them just so they get used to the word baby and the sound of the cry...My sis has 4 kiddos and told all of this too me
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 2:30 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• My kids are 7, 4,and 1 week old and it was easy going from 1 to 2 and so far has been easy going from 2 to 3..
    angelluvgoddess

Answer by angelluvgoddess at 2:41 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• In April my one son will be 6, in June, my youngest son will be 2, at the beginning of July my daughter will be 12, and toward the end of July, my newest addition will be....uh......born. lol. I think that the transition from 1 kid to 2 or more, is different for everyone, and will mainly depend on the temperment and personality of your son, and of the new baby. Sometimes it's very smooth, and other times, the older one gets a little jealous. Either way, it's gonna be a bit more challenging, but you're a mom, and you'll learn to adjust and deal w/ it. Do we ever have a choice? lol. The best thing you can do for your son is to prepare him for the changes that are about to accur, by explaining what's going on as best you can, and reasuring him that your love for him will never change, and after the baby is born make sure that you make one on one time w/ him, and allow him to "help" you w/ the baby. Good luck.
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 2:53 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I had a hard time with adjusting form 1 to 2 . My son did not handle the birth of his sister well. though he loved her he was very hard to deal with while trying to care for her. Crying at her door when I tried to lay her down, being disruptive when I was attempting to get her to sleep, fighting with me over stupid things while I was trying to breast feed, trying to pick her up, lay on her and jump on her(not to cause harm he is just grabby)... but then I also found out a year later than my son is on the Autism spectrum so that could have been part of our lack of adjustment on his part. Things are fine-ish :0) now. they still have issues relating because of his lack of regard for her personal space but he is learning and she will eventually learn to adjust to that as well. I am sure you will have a much easier time than I did! Good luck :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:24 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I have a 3 year old dd and a 4 week old ds. It has been difficult for me to have 1 on 1 time with my dd since I am breastfeeding my son. I was told that it gets easier so I'm hoping! My daughter has been really good with my son though. The hardest part for me so far is giving her the attention she wants/needs.
    ang0343

Answer by ang0343 at 2:29 AM on Jan. 15, 2010