How can I get my 16month old to stop being so clingy?

He is ALL over me, ALL the time. I am a college student, and my husband is not home enough for me to study only when he is here to help out. He has a room packed full of toys but he won't play by himself anymore. I have to figure something out so I can get things done. I have no money for daycare, and no family or friends that can watch him within 30 mintues of here. I have tried playing with him for a while and than seeing if he'll let me work, but its never enough. I love my son, and want to play with him just as much as he wants to play with me but, I have to get things done. What do I do?

youngmommi2be

Asked by youngmommi2be at 1:20 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe you can get him a playmate (possibly another student's child?) and you can both take turns watching each others kid. That way you can both study(go to the library or someplace out of the house). This way your child is occupied and hopefully will grow out of the clingy stage. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• Welcome to being a mother. Thats the way life is with a 16 mo. My grandson is 16 mo and I take care of him every other day. He is the same. It's great when there are 2 people to take care of him but overwhelming alone. His favorite word is up. He always wants you to carry him around and have you hold him when you are doing anything. He doesn't even want to let me go to the bathroom alone. I've been part of his life since he was born.

I can put him to sleep with music videos. When he was a baby he cried all the time. I started getting him to sleep with James Blunt videos. He loves music videos and he likes lots of videos now. It's his favorite thing at my house. If I start playing sleepy ones like Goodbye My Lover he will fall asleep on my lap. Then I can hold him while he sleeps and use the computer for an hour or two. He is liking Owl City and Train right now. We have tickets for an Owl City concert.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:33 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I was always a student while my kids were growing up. It took me 7 years to get my BS. They I got 2 masters' degrees and I've finished all my coursework for a doctorate. Just when I was ready to do my dissertation the chair of the department left and the program ended. I went to college for over 20 years. I was a single mother with 3 sons and we homeschooled.

You are probably exhausted. I am. Try to get your things for classes done while he is sleeping. Do house things with him. Get your husband to help around the house or just let things go. I try to keep the kitchen and bathroom clean. I don't care much about the rest of the house.

Wear him out playing outside so he sleeps more. Even if it's cold take him outside to walk or play.

It's normal. He will outgrow it but not soon. Try to enjoy it.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:45 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• He loves you and the two of you are well bonded - this is a very good thing.

Is there someone you can trade child care with?

Answer by rkoloms at 2:17 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• My 16 mo is like that, too. It's par for the course. I feel for you trying to get work done while spending time with him; I'm a graduate student and only work after they go to bed or while they're at preschool (one's 16 months, the other 2.5 yrs). FInding someone to trade with is a great idea. You'll get more done in 3 uninterrupted hours than in 3 full days of trying to study while hanging out with a toddler, I promise.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:36 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Are you a SHM? I have to do my homework at naptime and from 8 pm- whenever. My 14 mnth old is a high-maintance boy! I keep him busy by cleaning, playing, and moving around the house. Its tough work having a clingy kid.
    I started taking parenting classes (its free). There are proffessionals to whatch the children while the parents can learn about love and logics. Just get him out in the world to socialize with other kids. Churches offer children services while the go to service.
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 2:43 AM on Jan. 16, 2010