moving to canada?

my dh and i want to move to canada after hes done with school dec 2010. we need to find him a job and a place to live... also we need to know how to get the right paper work or passport.... we will have 3 kiddos when we move as well. we've lived in iowa our whole lives so we have no experience in moving this far. any information or tips will help. and if you know of anyone or places we can contact to help us with this. thanks.

PEACHES1721

Asked by PEACHES1721 at 1:36 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Travel

• Is it cold over there I wanted to move over there?
    officerdouglas

Answer by officerdouglas at 1:41 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• If you go to the post office they have all the paper work for passports. It takes a few weeks to get a passport, so make sure you give yourself plenty of time.
    Anonymous

• dunno....moved here when I was 4.

you have to apply at the consulate for permanent resident status to become a landed immigrant. if you're plannning on staying permanently.

I'd advise coming up (yes its UP not over) and staying in a city, or town to learn all about it. Canada is one of the largest countries in the world....so there's a LOT of places to pick. what are you...metropolitan? country? prairie? mountain? coast?

research the seasons - it does get cold in the North, but depends how far up you go. I'm abour 4-5 hours north of the border in Calgary. its a great city, and an hour away from the mountains to the west.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:52 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• there is also a canadian moms group on here....you might want to join to meet some moms and get an idea of the different parts of the country.
    hypermamaz

• We lived in Newfoundland for a little over 2 yrs. Now, we went there with the military, so it was a little different, but I would suggest that you contact the State Department and that you also contact Canadian Immigration and ask them specifically what you have to do, and what paperwork you need.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:25 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• We immigrated to Canada from England 10 years ago.  This website will help you. 

http://www.immigration.ca/assessment.asp?gclid=CJK3qp78qJ8CFZAN5QodNyOF0Q

We immigrated under the family class because I was already a Canadian citizen and I had my children registered as Canadian citizens after they were born so it was only my husband who technically needed to immigrate.  It only took 4 months from sending all the forms in to getting our visa.  My dh is now a citizen. 

Feel free to pm me if you need any more help.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:08 AM on Jan. 16, 2010