HELP! Sleep issues

My 4 month old doesnt nao very well. She only takes one nap a day....She wakes up around 7 and shows signs of getting tired around 9is or so, but when I put her down, she either wont sleep, or only for like 30 mins. If I make her wait it out from 7-11am, she usually sleeps 2 hours or so and then maybe will crash on my shoulder later for 30 mins. Lately though, she hasnt been doing the 30 mins snooze on my shoulder and the nights have been rough. She goes to sleep at 7pm and then wakes up around 3 to eat...then she wont go back to sleep for another hour or so, only to be up about 1 1/2-2 hours later. Is she doing this because she isnt getting enough sleep during the day? Any advice on what I should do about her napping schedule? Like I just tried now to put her down about an hour ago, and all she did was cry...I just dont know what to do anymore. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

LandonsMa0403

Asked by LandonsMa0403 at 1:38 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sleep schedules will vary, and her nighttime pattern is completely normal. Would happen with or without the naps. Honestly, the best thing you can do is follow her pattern. If she wants to sleep 30 minutes at nine, by all means let her. Following HER patterns rather than trying to impose something will lead to better sleep.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:57 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I'm having some of the same troubles. A few things to think about - where is she sleeping for naps? Would she rather be swaddled? Too hot or cold? I'm working on my son napping in his crib more often to help our routine and our night time sleeping. I lay him down when he shows signs of being sleepy and turn on the mobile or give him a paci. He will put himself to sleep. I was previously letting him sleep too much in his swing and bouncy and I think he's doing better now with associating the bed with sleeping. It seems to be helping our days and nights.

Good luck!
    Val1313

Answer by Val1313 at 8:03 PM on Jan. 14, 2010