diaper rash w/ open sores

my 5 week old has diaper rash and it looks like the skin has open sores. ive tried butt paste, desitin, & balmex....not sure what to do. im trying to change her a lot. its been around for about 3 days. does she need 2 c pedi? what lse can i try?

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 1:47 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try letting her Air out..like lay on the back of a flannel back tablecloth. My son's bottom responded to Resinol cream. Hard to find, but, the only thing that worked.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:52 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• its sounds like a baby yeast infection my son had this little bumps that bleed. my doctor just told me to put anti-fungul(athletes foot ) cream and it worked great. hope tis helped!
    christinaMJ

Answer by christinaMJ at 1:54 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• sounds like it may have gotten a bacterial infection in it :( poor baby
    get some athlete's foot cream and put a pea size amount on twice a day.
    Anonymous

• Wash with warm water and soap. Keep VERY dry, plain cornstarch in cloth diaper if possible. I would call the pedi and see what they say. You don't want to make it worse.
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 1:58 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Corn starch doesn't always work...it did and still will make my skin break out.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:13 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Leave her diaperless as much as possible! Nothing else works like it.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 2:15 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Dont use wipes, use soap and water, and as nasty as it sounds they are right about the anti fungal cream. Used for athletes foot!! try to let baby lay without diaper as much as possible.....
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 2:16 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• try to get mupirocin ointment from your DR. it will have it cleared up and healed in 2 days.
    Mrs2009

Answer by Mrs2009 at 2:46 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• wipe with soap and warm water. (aquaphor baby soap has no scent). keep her diaperless when possible. i would call the pediatrician and decribe it. that way you know for sure if it is a diaper rash or yeast infection. ive heard about the athletes foot cream... but i wouldnt do this until my doctor recommended it. for diaper rash, i always just kept baby dry, and applied vaseline or aquafor. good luck.
    Anonymous

• its def. yeast infection. he needs to see his pedi so that they can not only put it in the records, if the sores are that bad they may want to send you to a specialist. i've been constantly fighting a yeast infection on my 10 week old's butt since he came home
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 3:13 PM on Jan. 14, 2010