How long will a ham last?

Someone wants to give me a 10lb. ham they received for Christmas. It's still in its original vacuum-sealed packaging but it has not been frozen. I've always been under the impression that ham stays good for a very long time but wanted to see if anybody knew for sure how long an unfrozen, well-packaged ham would stay good for.

Thanks.

sillyt

Asked by sillyt at 1:48 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Food & Drink

• It should have a "best by" date on the wrapper somewhere. The longest I've ever seen a ham good for is a couple months. If you can't find a date, open it, check out how it looks & smells, and if it's good, wrap it well and stick it in the freezer (unless you want to cook it within a couple of days) or cut it up into meal-sized chunks and wrap those well & freeze.
    Anonymous