Why do we always have money for food and supples for other countries, especially after a disaster, but can't / don't take care of people struggling our own country?

Earthquakes are natural disasters and I'm not saying not to help people in Haiti. I simpathize with the situation but what about us? We have kids going to school in the morning hungry because their parents make too much money for gov. assistance but not enough for food. Senior citizens on fixed incomes that need help with food, medicine, etc. Yet we're always sending millions to help some other country. When are we going to improve ourselve? Your can't help someone if you need help can you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I am wondering the same thing.
    officerdouglas

Answer by officerdouglas at 1:52 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• And that is exactly why I am not shipping ANYTHING to Haiti! I understand that there are countries in need and starving kids out there. But I am with you 100%. We need to focus on our state of depression. We have people on welfare and unemployed. We have no money for health care! Our country is debt! We shouldn't be selfish but we also shouldn't be taken advantage of by our country.
    annamcg18

Answer by annamcg18 at 1:53 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• i have always thought that. we have homeless and hungry people here. we need to keep our money here to make the u.s.a. strong again or eventually we will be of no help to anyone.
    binker55

Answer by binker55 at 1:58 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• The money sent to Haiti, comes from donations and special funds just for this type of situation. The me me atittude I have seen here is enough to make me loose faith in human kind. Nothing is being taken from you to give to this poor country, grow some compassion!
    No one is taking advantage of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answer by older at 1:58 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Probably for the same reason that other countries donated and sent help during American tragedies, such as 9/11 and Katrina. I know many American's don't realize that other countries provided assistance during these times, but they did. It's called a world community.
    Anonymous

• The question should really be:
    Why do we have arrogant people thinking we are better than everyone else because we are Americans? America will be just fine. It always climbs back to the top. Other countries however, are not as fortunate as us by a long shot.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:03 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I don't know about your area but we have tons of food pantries and help in this area. America is the most giving nation in the world to our own as well as others.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:04 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Oh and, those talking ab out the homeless and hungry in America don't even want to help THEM. I hear, read and see it everyday. "Get a job!", or "I don't give them money, they just spend it on booze or drugs." What hypocritical barbarians.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:04 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• It is voluntary of course, but I do see lots of "me me me" comments, responses at CM. I bet some of them could forgo a tatoo or a piercing and instead send some money to both their local charities AND the Haitian Relief funds. And you know who you are......
    Anonymous

• Well, I too agree that there should be more public aid in this country. There are a lot of people falling through the cracks. That doesn't exclude us from helping another country in a disaster.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 2:05 PM on Jan. 14, 2010