what is your 22 month old eating? Need some ideas for a picky eater.

Rebecca25

Asked by Rebecca25 at 1:51 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son is 22 months and dont want to eat veggies. he eats greenbeans, peas, brussel sprouts some times but thats about it. I have gotten to wear I will mix it in with food like blending in canned carrots with spaghetti sauce. it actually makes it taste better. i always put veggies on his plate anyway because he may eat one or two which is better than none. also if the kid sees you eat them and you enjoy it they are more likely to eat it. my husband can get my son to eat almost anything. my doc told me that it takes about 15 tries to get the kid to eat something unusual to them. if you are worried about nutrition, give the child a vitamin, and maybe some pediasure.
    annamcg18

Answer by annamcg18 at 2:02 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase. They all go through it. First, make sure that he is drinking water, so he doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually he will start eating them. It is also important that you set a great example by eating lots of healthy foods.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

cont.
    Anonymous

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you get peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Parents who cave are part of the reason why one half of American children are both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed

Answer by rkoloms at 2:11 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• i also used the 3 bite rule and then peanut butter and fruit.
    binker55

Answer by binker55 at 3:16 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• My son eats what we are eating...or he doesn't eat at all. Let me tell you, he eats!! Sometimes not a whole lot, but he knows, at 21 months of age, that whatever is on his plate is all the food he will get. Now if he eats all his food or eats enough to count as a whole meal and later is hungry, then he eats a sandwich or leftovers if there are any.
    Anonymous

• SHAKES! They are yummy. I blend oatmeal, yogurt, a bit of honey and cinnamon, soy milk and then a greens powder from the health food store and some healthy extras like flax, wheat germ, etc (Oh I blend in a banana and avocado too because my son loves avacados but you can use any fruits)
    breezibre971

Answer by breezibre971 at 10:20 PM on Jan. 14, 2010