Do you worry that you might get breast cancer?

Personally no-one in my family has developed breast cancer but I have a very strong feeling that I may end up with this one day. I don't know why.

Does anyone else worry in general that they will end up with breast cancer or do you have the same feeling that I do that they will get it eventually?

I know that is a strange thing to feel but I just feel that I am going to be diagnosed with it one day honestly.

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 1:52 PM on Jan. 14, 2010 in Health

• Yep, I'm paranoid about that kind of stuff. My grandma had one breast removed a few years ago, but she's cancer free now. She didn't get diagnosed until she was about 78-80, I don't remember what year it was exactly.

I'm also TERRIFIED of ovarian/cervical cancer. My mom had a tumor in her uterus and had to have a hysterectomy because of it. Luckily it was benign, but it could have been malicious had they let it go long enough. I also watched my MIL die a horrible slow death from ovarian cancer.

I'm so scared.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:05 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• for me its WHEN and not IF.

my mom and I are the only women who haven't gotten it yet out of a family of primarily women.

I get a yearly mammogram (I'm 32) and do what I can to prevent it
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:53 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• My grandmother had it so yes i worry about it. I dont let it take over my life but i try to pay attention to new medical news about it and i check myself. My grandmother was in her 70's before she developed it so who knows if I will get it or not.

I dont think i have made up my mind that i will get it, i just know its possible.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:55 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• We have had a few women in our family get it so it is something I worry about. Cancer in general is a worry. I lost three of four grandparents to cancer. My father found out he had cancer two years ago. It's something that is a worry for most of my family.
    Anonymous

• i feel like this too, my boobs hurt sometimes and i constantly check them myself and think i feel bumps but then they will be on the other side too (lymph nodes) but i too feel like i will get it someday dont know why
    Rebecca25

Answer by Rebecca25 at 1:58 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Breastfeeding is protective for breast cancer. The longer you breastfeed the more you reduce your risk. I breastfed a long time and no one in my family has had breast cancer. However, I did have had cervical cancer when I was 32.

A friend that breastfed her 3 daughters died from breast cancer when her youngest was 3. About the same time a La Leche League Leader that breastfed her 5 children was diagnosed. Another La Leche League Leader in the same city died from breast cancer. That's not supposed to happen to women in their 30's that do the right things.

I think it made everyone that knew these three women and their children afraid of breast cancer for the rest of our lives. I am crying just thinking about it. The one woman was so full of life and her 3 girls were wonderful. She made beautiful birthday cakes for people just to be nice. This was 20 years ago.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:04 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Yes. My mother and I (just like hypermamaz) are the only females in our family that have not been diagnosed.

I perform routine self-checks and have already had a mamogram even though I'm only 23...

It's a very scary disease.
    itsjaimiehere

Answer by itsjaimiehere at 2:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I don't really worry about it. For starters, not one woman in my entire family has ever had it. I know I still have a chance of getting it, but I'm very aware of my body, and if caught early, breast cancer is VERY treatable. The survival rate continues to go up, and a lot of women don't even have to have chemo or radiation for it these days. Sometimes they can simply surgically remove the lump, and that's it.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 2:20 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Yes, I worry about getting cancer, but cervical & colon cancer. I dont know why. My docs have assured me I do not. But it wont stop me from getting checked every few years. I know my body best!
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 2:21 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• i do not worry about getting any cancer. i live well, i eat well. i don't put chemicals in my body, i don't mess around with the hormones God gave me (no birth control pills, no infertility treatments), i don't put chemicals on my skin...if i wouldn't eat it, then i won't put it on my skin. i don't wear antipersperant, i don't stop the body from doing what it is supposed to do ( i don't have bo either)
    if i ever get diagnosed with cancer i will seek out alternative solutions. i will not do chemotherapy.
    if cancer is what is supposed to take me, then so be it...in the mean time, i will continue to live my life the way i feel God intended me to.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:30 PM on Jan. 14, 2010